A Romantic Getaway to the Glamorous Saint Tropez

A Romantic Getaway to the Glamorous Saint Tropez

FRANCE

The glamorous resort town of St. Tropez, or “St-Trop” as it is endearingly called, has for decades held a special allure on the French Riviera as a summertime destination for artists, film stars and the idle rich. Though it has, in part, succumbed to the pressures of development – with its marina of luxury yachts, chic nightclubs, plush hotels and glitzy beach clubs, which are frequented by the likes of Leonardo DiCaprio and other Hollywood elite – the charm of this little port still remains. Whether for a weekend or three weeks, the former fishing village is the perfect destination for a romantic escape with a loved one.

Arrive from the Sky

A Nice to St Tropez helicopter transfer offers the only means of arrival for lovers in search of the sublime, and enables travellers to reach the beaches of St Tropez in less than 20 minutes. Few aerial views are as majestic as those from a low-level flight along the Cote d’Azur, with the mesmerizingly turquoise Mediterranean Sea abutting rugged cliffs and the snow-capped Alps in the distance. Catch a glimpse of Antibes, Cannes, the spectacular Esterel Mountains, and the fleet of superyachts that drop anchor in the Bay of St Tropez as you fly towards your destination.

A Good Night’s Sleep

Check into the Pan Deï Palais Hotel, a refuge of tranquillity and calm, which is sure to stimulate feelings of romance. Influenced by oriental design, the hotel is aesthetically stunning, indulgent, and private. The scenic pool and cultivated garden areas assure guests that they are in a luxurious Mediterranean setting, while the bedrooms enjoy an escapist motif. Take short strolls to the Port of St Tropez before returning for a cocktail in the hotel’s sophisticated bar.

The Romantic Old Town

Each morning, local fishermen of this once humble fishing village sell their catch at the Place aux Herbes, next to the harbour. On Tuesday and Saturday mornings, a colourful open-air Provencal market at the Place des Lices – the town’s Sycamore-lined central square – sells pastries, cheeses, cut flowers, fruits, vegetables and arts and crafts. When not filled with market stalls, the locals like to play a traditional game of boules in the square. The character of the old town, known as “La Ponche”, has survived, with its pastel buildings, cobbled streets, and the 18th-century Eglise de Notre-Dame de l’Assomption church – easily identifiable from its baroque bell tower. Being a compact, pedestrianised town of around one square kilometre, it is ideal for exploring by foot. Take the time to walk aimlessly, hand-in-hand with a loved one, admiring the beauty of the everyday sights.

Rich History and Charming Culture

Set on a hillside overlooking the town with splendid views of the Gulf of Saint Tropez and the Massif des Maures mountain range is a canon-lined, hexagonal citadel that was built in 1602 to defend the coastal region from Spain. Its dungeon now houses the Musée de l’Histoire Maritime, which traces the town’s maritime history from fishing to trade. St. Tropez has a number of museums and avant-garde art galleries, including the unusual La Maison des papillons, which displays thousands of butterflies from extinct to exotic species from around the world, including Amazonia and the Solomon Islands. Soak up the rich history and the fascinating culture and forget the world.

Secluded Coastal Walks

The natural beauty of the pine-scented, rocky St Tropez Peninsular can be enjoyed in solitary splendour with a peaceful walk along the Sentier du Littoral. This well-marked coastal hiking path ranges from the pier area for several kilometres to reach the popular Plage de Pampelonne beach. Steps lead down along the route to other sandy, secluded, bathwater-warm beaches.

Fine: Dining: Provencal Specialties

The port’s many restaurants cater to all tastes, from Provencal seafood to Vietnamese. In the evenings, enjoy a romantic tipple at one of the famous brasseries, such as Le Gorulle or Sénéquier. For pastries, visit the Tarte Tropézienne bakery in Traverse des Lices and try its speciality – a cream-filled brioche cake, which is very popular in the south of France.

A dream of a destination, St Tropez lures the romantically inclined with its promise of warm summer nights and a glamorous culture. Fall in love as if for the first time in this idyllic setting.

1. Lara Dunning
    August 21, 2017 at 12:28 am

It sounds like a very romantic spot and the picturesque setting sure adds to that mystic. That cream-filled brioche cake looks divine!

August 22, 2017 at 11:54 pm

I know, I wish I was eating it right now!

2. Paul
    August 21, 2017 at 4:05 am

St Tropez sounds amazing. I have always just imagined it to be a place just for celebrities and their huge yachts! But it does actually look like a lovely little place to visit.

August 22, 2017 at 11:57 pm

It’s a beautiful part of the world, that’s for sure 🙂

3. Kaylene
    August 21, 2017 at 5:00 am

What beautiful photos! The water is incredibly blue, looks very romantic! I’d love to see the old town and go on secluded walks! I’d love to visit!

August 22, 2017 at 11:58 pm

I hope you get to visit one day, Kaylene!

4. Eric || The Bucket List Project
    August 21, 2017 at 11:43 am

Sooo…I get it that you want to splurge for a romantic weekend anywhere and that this is supposed to be about Luxurious travelling. I also get that this is was your honeymoon, a weekend in San Tropez sounds awesome. But to spend 1,150 euros (not sure if that’s per person or the whole copter) on a 20 minute helicopter ride??? OUCH. I would rather spend that money on my hotel, cocktails, or a fine meal with my loved one. I mean to see all the other spots from a heli is cool but the noise and roughness of the ride doesn’t scream, luxury to me.
    Guess different strokes and all

September 19, 2017 at 3:13 pm

It all depends on the person and what style of budget they have. I do see your point that it’s quite an expensive ticket, but the views are worth it.

5. Skye
    August 22, 2017 at 1:19 am

Oh you’ve made me miss Saint Tropez! Arriving in on a helicopter is definitely something I had never thought of but would be great to miss that summer traffic for sure! Great wrap up! You’ve made me want to go back.

August 23, 2017 at 12:01 am

I hope you get to go back, Skye!!

6. Corinne
    August 23, 2017 at 3:23 pm

It looks luxurious and beautiful but way out of my budget. I would love to helicopter in somewhere to spend the night…Sign me up.

August 23, 2017 at 4:32 pm

We can dream, right?!

7. Dave (Silverbackpacker)
    August 23, 2017 at 10:57 pm

Back in the 70’s we used to sleep on the beach along the south france coast and San Tropez was one of those places. All i remember is being woken up at 6am by the police and being told to move on lol. Also it used to be associated with Sophia Loren and other film stars.

August 30, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Ha, what an experience! Thanks for sharing 🙂

8. Kerri
    August 24, 2017 at 12:14 am

Haven’t been here for a few years and certainly didn’t arrive by chopper! That takes luxury to a whole other level doesn’t it? As nice as this is, I’m pretty sure I could spend that money a little differently though and still have an amazing time.

August 30, 2017 at 2:09 pm

Oh definitely! That would be for a very special occasion or if you had money to burn 😉

9. Martina Gomez
    August 24, 2017 at 8:26 am

Oh! It looks wonderful. I am looking for some best destinations in italy for holidays and your stuff is really very helpful. Please suggest some more holiday destinations there.

August 30, 2017 at 2:10 pm

I’m so glad you found it helpful! Subscribe by mail and you’ll get updates every week 🙂

10. Sandy N Vyjay
    August 24, 2017 at 9:04 pm

Looking at the pictures and reading about St. Tropez transported me into the pages of one those romantic novels I used to read some years back. So enchanting is the place, it seems that time seems to have stood still in admiration of the beauty of the place.No wonder the place is a haunt of the rich and famous.

August 30, 2017 at 2:11 pm

Thank you for your wonderful comment, Sandy! It’s certainly a special place.