Best Luxury Activities In and Around London

Best Luxury Activities In and Around London

EUROPE, LONDON, SITES TO SEE, TOURS, UNITED KINGDOM

Like many of the world’s best tourist destinations, London and its surrounding areas can be experienced in a whole new way if you approach your trip with luxurious intent. That’s not to say you have to spend heavily on each and every activity to enjoy the city. In fact, more than a lot of major capitals, London can be experienced pretty thoroughly by those who simply walk around sightseeing. But if you do like to experience the higher end of a destination, here are some of the best luxury activities to consider in and around London.

Champagne On The London Eye

London Eye

Some travelers shy away from the London Eye (aka the giant ferris wheel towering over the city) because it seems “touristy.” That’s understandable, but a ride up in one of the capsules also gives you a view of the city that you really can’t match elsewhere (unless you manage to scale Big Ben). Furthermore, you can turn it into a luxurious and even romantic event by booking a champagne experience and indulging a little bit as you’re taken up into the air to look over one of the world’s truly beautiful cities. The champagne experience is described by Viator’s London pages as a 30-minute flight in a shared capsule where you’ll be served champagne by a host as you enjoy the landmarks below. There is also a similar (though significantly more expensive) private ride for two option.

Take In A Show At A Major Theatre

Gielgud Theatre London

London has several famous theatres where a night out can be a truly remarkable experience. Of course, that depends somewhat on the show schedules and whether or not you can catch a performance you’re particularly interested in. But in some cases, the venues themselves are worth the price of admission. Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre is undoubtedly the most famous of the bunch, but the Gielgud Theatre may be the best bet for those looking for a feeling of luxury. Described by Londontown as a towering four-story structure with decorated pillars and Baroque ornamentation, it truly is a sight to behold. Inside, you can feel its age, but the theatre still feels refreshingly cosy and authentic.

Attend The Cheltenham Festival

Cheltenham Festival

There are several major horse races throughout the spring in England, but the Cheltenham Festival is just a few hours’ drive west of London (and through the beautiful Cotswolds region). It’s also considered by many to be the most enjoyable. The event is outlined by Betfair’s Cheltenham page as a four-day festival consisting of a variety of top-notch races, as well as themed occasions. As they also make clear, the Cheltenham Festival is primarily a sporting event, with a great deal of attention paid each year to the horses competing, the odds laid on competitors, and so forth. But there’s a delightful luxury component to the event as well. Attendees dress for the occasion and mingle in champagne and cocktail bars in between races, to the point that the whole thing can feel like an extravagant pageant of sorts.

Attend Wimbledon

Wimbledon Centre Court

Sticking with sporting occasions for a moment, there might not be an attraction or event in London that quite tops Wimbledon for luxury travel lovers. Held each July, it’s considered by many to be the most prestigious of the tennis majors, and it constantly inspires stunning play from the world’s greatest champions. But what’s really appealing to a lot of fans is the spectacle of it all. There’s an old-fashioned charm and dignity to Wimbledon, seen in the fashion of the spectators (and even in the all-white outfits required on players) and the impeccable atmosphere surrounding the courts. Tickets to this tournament are difficult to obtain, but there’s a nice Telegraph guide that details the process.

Tour Kensington Palace In Private

Kensington Palace London

London is full of incredible venues and attractions to explore, and many of them offer private or VIP tours. Most any of them can make for an unforgettable experience, but a private tour of Kensington Palace may take the cake. The tour is described by Luxury Vacations UK as consisting of either a morning or evening guided look through the royal accommodations, including close-up examinations of outfits worn by past royals. But best of all, you’ll end your tour with either a breakfast or wine reception in a picturesque location on the grounds or in the palace.

Take A Night Trip To Brighton

Brighton London

For all its popular attractions and landmarks, England is often somewhat overlooked when it comes to coastal beauty. The country is home to some gorgeous and entertaining beach towns and coastal stretches. And it just so happens that one such area—the city of Brighton—is an easy day’s travel south of London. A trip to Brighton means a chance to get away from the big city for a day in the midst of your vacation, as well as a chance to enjoy one of the fine boutique hotels just inside the beach. In particular, the Drakes Hotel of Brighton should be on the list of anyone seeking unique, high-end accommodations. One look through Trip Advisor’s page on the Drakes shows why many travelers find this seaside getaway’s charms to be irresistible.

Hopefully this selection gives you a taste of the variety of luxury and VIP attractions you can enjoy in and around this fabulous city!

london

1. Jackie Sills-Dellegrazie
    February 27, 2016 at 11:27 am

Thanks for the great suggestions! I was last in London a little over a year ago and use miles and points to book airfare and hotels. As a result, my husband and I were able to splurge on some luxury experiences we probably wouldn’t have. Going to the theatre and visiting the Cotswolds are highlights of our trip. I would add having high tea and a classic hotel like, The Dorchester. It was a very decadent experience.

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 9:06 am

We took the family to London last summer and had a wonderful time just walking around the city and exploring many of these sites. I’m glad to hear that you had the opportunity to enjoy some of the luxury experiences on your trip.

2. Sabrina
    February 27, 2016 at 4:13 pm

It all sounds very interesting. Didn’t have an idea of the possibility of drinking champagne in the London eye and I’ll try next May, when I’ll head to London 🙂

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 9:09 am

It’s quite the experience to have a wine tasting or a glass of champagne when your on the London Eye.

3. Christopher
    February 27, 2016 at 10:13 pm

These are some wonderful ideas. A lineup for the London Eye was so long going that a glass of champagne would’ve been very nice to enjoy while enjoying the wonderful views.

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 9:12 am

Next time pay for the priority boarding to avoid the long lines, and make sure you sign up for the champagne tasting, they even have a chocolate tasting too.

4. Rosemary
    February 28, 2016 at 2:36 am

Great tips and suggestions to see the best of London. I always thought the London eye was too touristy, so thanks for sharing a different perspective of it. Will try that on my next trip to London.

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 9:13 am

Some parts of London are very touristy still, but you can always find things to do off the beaten path that are fun.

5. Kathrin
    February 28, 2016 at 5:12 am

Going to the theatre in London is still on my bucket list. Hope to go to a play before I’ll finish my postgraduate degree in September. Brighton is amazing as well!

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 9:15 am

We saw Les Miserables in London and it was the highlight of our trip. It really made me appreciate all the surrounding areas afterwards.

6. Alice Teacake
    February 28, 2016 at 8:21 am

As a London local, I absolutely love all the ideas you have listed. Make sure you go and see a show for sure and most of all, do go to Brighton! I lived there for a while and have nothing but awesome memories about it.

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 9:21 am

I’ve been to the theatre in London and it was a very memorable experience for us. I agree that Brighton is not to be missed, especially a walk on the pier.

7. Casey
    February 28, 2016 at 10:41 am

Thanks for sharing all this great info on the best thing to do in London! It’s been a while since I’ve been to this awesome city, but reading your post has ignited my London-wanderlust once again! The Kingston Palace tour looks like an absolute must. I’m always a sucker for places with rich history like that. 🙂

• Carmen
      February 28, 2016 at 2:35 pm

I’m a history buff as well and really enjoy learning about the history of many of these old palaces.

8. Hugo
    February 28, 2016 at 3:00 pm

Great ideas for me to try out since I live in London. My number one priority has to be Wimbledon.

I’ve been to a few West End shows and highly recommend them doing so!

• Carmen
      February 29, 2016 at 8:29 am

Wimbledon is on top of my list too. I’ve been to the Sony open here in Florida but it isn’t the same.

9. Wandering Carol
    February 28, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Fun ideas, Carmen. I did a theatre criticism course in London and loved going to the theatre. (I also learned I’ll never make a theatre critic.) I’ve done the London Eye, but not with champagne, and it was nice, but I’d still pick the amazing museums and art galleries over it (though if I’d had that champagne …)

• Carmen
      February 29, 2016 at 8:30 am

If you had a few glasses of champagne or went to a wine tasting on the London Eye, I’m sure the views would look much better. 🙂

10. Robson Cadore
    February 29, 2016 at 2:15 am

Loved the idea of London Eye with champagne. We have done the London Eye back in 2007, sunset time, absolutely loved the views from the city!
    Cheltenham Festival sounds great. Saw some pictures and got impressed how people dress up!

• Carmen
      March 10, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I want to try to wine tasting on the London Eye next time.

11. Sunny
    July 1, 2017 at 2:54 am

Interesting list of ideas. I took a helicopter tour over London via my blog that was pretty fun. Also, taking a floral arrangement class at the Covent Garden Academy of Flowers has been one of the best experiences I have had living here too!

July 3, 2017 at 10:14 am