Reasons to Spend a Christmas Holiday in Florida

Reasons to Spend a Christmas Holiday in Florida

FLORIDA, UNITED STATES

Florida is a wonderful destination all year round. But for the holiday season, it’s extra special and completely magical, whether you’re traveling as a couple or as a family. Here are three reasons why you should spend Christmas in Florida.

It’s cool and luxurious if you need it to be

If you’re after an understated Christmas time where you’ll feel pampered and indulged over the festive period, my top tip would be to head to Miami. It’s home of some of the most beautiful and super cool hotels in America where you’ll be attended to by friendly hotel staff and get to switch off for a few days. The choice of luxury hotels in Miami is excellent, whether you want super chic minimalist or a beautiful art deco style abode. Miami has some terrific restaurants and high-end shopping to treat yourself to some designer goodies. And although it’s a great place to have a break any time of year, there’s a wonderful holiday atmosphere in Miami in December that makes it extra special.

Christmas in Miami

It’s magical if you want it to be

If you’re travelling with children, one of the most magical places they can be at Christmas time is Walt Disney World. Disney don’t do things by halves, so expect beautiful décor, infectious yuletide music and festive fare alongside your little ones favourite Disney characters. Some of the Disney hotels are particularly luxurious and opulently decorated during the holidays to make them truly spectacular. But if you want to swerve Disney overload, there are plenty of other places to have a magical family Christmas in Florida. Try the Pensacola Winterfest or the Annual Key West Holiday Fest for a good dose of holiday merriment, twinkly lights and delicious eggnog. One of my favourite celebrations is the Night of Lights that’s part of the Annual St Augustine Christmas Parade. It’s magical and delightful.

Walt Disney World

The weather is perfect

Florida’s lovely year-round temperature means that even in December it’s not too chilly. Sure, some people just love snowy landscapes during the holidays, but at least in Florida you know you don’t have to layer up and brave the cold. Instead, you can still get out and about to enjoy Florida’s attractions and the beautiful holiday events that take place up and down the state. For snow bunnies, there’s plenty of faux-snow to enjoy at most of Florida’s Christmas attractions. But for the real deal, don’t miss a visit to ICE! at Gaylord Palms. It’s an award-winning display of millions of pounds of ice hand-carved sculptures.

Gaylord Palms

1. Jessica The Dining Traveler
    December 10, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I wouldn’t mind going to Miami for Christmas! As you mentioned hotels are great and the food is amazing as well!

December 11, 2016 at 3:26 pm

It takes a little getting used to seeing palm trees decorated with Christmas lights, but I don’t mind the hot weather at all.

2. BonBon
    December 10, 2016 at 6:13 pm

We’ve been traveling to Florida for the last 3 years now…. and we Love it!!! We will be in South Beach next week:) I can’t wait…. Are you from Miami? Any recommendation for kid friendly activities? Thank you

December 11, 2016 at 3:31 pm

I live in Fort Lauderdale, which is about 30 minutes north of Miami. It all depends on the age of your kids, but Jungle Island has always been a favorite of ours.

3. anna
    December 10, 2016 at 10:54 pm

Those ice sculptures look amazing. Wow!
    anna recently posted…Hitchhiker Stories: Real Experiences from Real PeopleMy Profile

December 11, 2016 at 3:32 pm

Every year they get more creative with the ice sculptures at Gaylord Palms. It’s a lot of fun to walk around and see all the decorations.

4. Nancy
    December 11, 2016 at 12:18 am

Christmas at Disney World looks very festive. Would love to see all the festive decorations they have there. But the warm weather and blue skies would be calling out to me more than anything else.
    Nancy recently posted…Sicily in 4 days (part 2)My Profile

December 11, 2016 at 3:34 pm

They have a nightly parade of lights, and characters and the park is decorated very festive. We took our kids several years back, and they loved it.

5. Samantha
    December 19, 2016 at 12:08 am

Christmas in a warm climate would be awesome! I’m from Canada where the winters are colddddd so escaping to hot places is a great getaway! One year I went to Jamaica for xmas and that was amazing!
    Samantha recently posted…Expat and the City Turns One Year Old!My Profile

December 28, 2016 at 4:47 pm

We get a lot of Canadians down here during the winter season! Jamaica is also a great escape for the cold.

6. Kavey at Kavey Eats
    December 24, 2016 at 3:35 am

This was such a lovely trip down memory lane for me. I’m a Londoner but I have relatives in Florida so when I was a kid, we sometimes visited them over Christmas. We had one family in Miami and one in Boca Raton, so we’d visit both plus the trip to Disney as well, which we loved. Such a great Christmas destination!
    Kavey at Kavey Eats recently posted…Hot Smoked Salmon Paté | Just 3 IngredientsMy Profile

January 22, 2017 at 2:37 pm

Although, we don’t have the snow or cold weather for Christmas here in Florida, Disney really does it up with all their decorations.

7. Hra
    December 24, 2016 at 9:24 am

Great reasons!! i would love to spend my Christmas holidays in such a beautiful place!! Thanks for sharing to us 🙂 Merry Christmas!!

January 22, 2017 at 2:38 pm

No better place to spend the holidays than in Florida with our warm weather and palm trees. 🙂

8. Meg Jerrard
    December 25, 2016 at 3:43 am

We lived in Florida for a year, so I can absolutely attest to it being a fabulous place on Christmas to be! Being from Australia, summer weather over the holidays is normal for me, and even though it’s technically winter in Florida then, the temperature is about the same haha!! Merry Christmas!
    Meg Jerrard recently posted…7 Reasons You Should Spend Winter Among the Wonders of JilinMy Profile

January 22, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Our winter here is in the sixties. I love taking out my boots and warm clothes at least twice a year. It would be extra special if it wasn’t so warm during Christmas. We normally get the cool weather in February.

9. Joan Torres
    December 26, 2016 at 7:51 am

WOW! I am from a village in the northern part of Spain and one of the things I don’t like about Christmas here is that is freaking freezing! I would feel so strange (and happy) to celebrate Christmas with my family in a t-shirt!

January 22, 2017 at 2:41 pm

I remember my first Christmas in Florida that I went shopping for gifts in shorts and flip-flops.

10. Elaine J Masters
    December 26, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Love this idea. I’m in San Diego so having a warm Christmas is not that unique. We’re not tropical though and that would make all the difference.
    Elaine J Masters recently posted…Longwood Gardens – Winter lights and bright nightsMy Profile

January 22, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Being in a tropical state where not only is it warm most of the time, but humid too, makes it challenging for those of us that like the cold during the holidays.

11. Himanshu
    December 27, 2016 at 12:35 am

I love the way you bring luxury travel for us and this post has given me more itch to travel to Florida. Being an indian where x-mas is not that big thing i always want to experience the festivity somewhere in west. Thanks for this. Happy christmas.

December 27, 2016 at 10:00 am

There’s is nothing like going to the beach on Christmas is the weather is nice.

12. Sia
    December 27, 2016 at 1:34 am

The Walt Disney castle all lit up looks spectacular1 I would definitely love to visit it there or in any other country it is. As someone who grew up in Europe where Christmas usually meant traditional celebration and cold weather with snow, it is strange to think of it in any other way. But as I grew up I now prefer warmer weather and would love to give Miami a try or even Australia and Asia!
    Sia recently posted…Christmas Traditions in BulgariaMy Profile

December 27, 2016 at 9:58 am

Holidays in Florida are very different than in Europe. As much as I love being in the warm weather most of the year, during the holidays I prefer the cold weather, and even snow.

13. Jenna
    December 28, 2016 at 2:42 am

We grew up in Minnesota so we are used to a white Christmas, but we did enjoy spending several Christmas seasons in Florida when we lived there! I loved checking out ICE! at the Gaylord Palms and the decorations are always so gorgeous at Disney! Great tips on how to enjoy a warm holiday season!

January 22, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Gaylord Palms does a wonderful display during the holidays for everyone to enjoy.