Luxury Cruises to Antarctica

Luxury Cruises to Antarctica

CRUISES, LUXURY TRAVEL

Have you ever dreamed of traveling through the Antarctic Ocean? On-board a luxury icebreaking vessel, you’ll admire the purity and untouched snow of some beautiful landscapes where few have ever gone before. Are you ready for a luxury cruise in the most marvelous seas in the world?

Last time on the land

Sea Explorer Cruise Ship
Sea Explorer Cruise Ship

The starting point of your adventure is located in Ushuaia, which is known as the city of the end of the world, el fin del mundo. Enjoy the strangeness of Patagonia: from the boat cemeteries and the end-of-the-world beacon in the Beagle Canal to the lenguas forests in the Tierra del Fuego National Park, Southern Patagonia is full of mysteries and secrets. Stay at the Luxury Cauquenes Hotel and enjoy a beautiful view on the Tierra del Fuego from the safety of your own swimming pool.

Welcome to the Sea Explorer, the luxury boat which leads you to unknown lands in optimal comfort: it includes a spacious suite with private terraces, library, panoramic living room, Jacuzzi, etc. You can even enjoy a Sun Deck and a sports hall! But the Sea Explorer also has the latest technology for optimal security. Its slim ice-breaker hull will ensure that you have a safe and prosperous voyage. Meet the crew members, consisting of scientists and professionals who will be happy to answer your questions during the long trip. Are you ready to embark? Welcome on board!

The last islands

Once the boat is far away from the Beagle Canal, your first stop is the Falklands Islands. These English islands were the site of frequent armed conflict between the Thatcher troops and the Argentinean army in April, 1982. Nowadays, this site is still a controversial and contested area. Make harbour at the Stanley Port and discover the Falklands culture: it’s a mix between English and Argentinean traditions. Moreover, its wildlife is worth the visit: on Saunders Island, you’ll see black-browed albatross, a must-see!

Falkland Island Flickr: Ben Tubby used under the CC License
Saunders Island Flickr: Ben Tubby used under the CC License
Penguins on Falkland Islands Flickr: Matt S used under the CC License
Penguins on Falkland Islands Flickr: Matt S used under the CC License

Sail through glaciers

You’re now sailing on the Antarctic Ocean. From the panoramic windows of your balcony, you can observe the glacial continent on the horizon. The Sea Explorer goes South towards Southern Georgia. The landscape there is stunning, and you can enjoy an astonishing view: go out onto the terrace and admire the first icebergs, the marine wildlife and the snowy mountains. This moment of discovery is simply magical. At the Elsehul bay, let yourself be charmed by the elephant seal and the sea lions! Feel the silence, let the wind blow on your face and take a breath of fresh air. The white landscapes stretch out of sight and you can see many ice floes. There’s nothig like listening to the specialists’ explanation while drinking a glass of wine and sitting in a comfortable armchair. Can you say paradise?

Icebergs near Grytviken Harbour (Flickr: Outward_bound)
Icebergs near Grytviken Harbour (Flickr: Outward_bound)

The first step on Antarctica

Ever dreamed of walking on the polar ice? After sailing on the Weddell Sea, your ship makes landfall at Brown Bluff. The Brown Bluff site contains an impressive red cliff which is like nothing else in the world: the mixture of snow and crimson is a sight to see. Then, your boat heads in the direction of Charlotte bay. Discover this mountainous island where you can see many Dominican seagulls and penguins. Finally, your passage by the Deception Islands will enable you to enjoy the geothermal heat sources. This place is astonishing, and many wild petrels live here.

Brown Bluff in the Morning Fog Flickr: Hannes Rada under the CC License
Brown Bluff in the Morning Fog Flickr: Hannes Rada used under the CC License
A seal resting at Charlotte Bay Antarctica Flickr: Claire Lewinsky used under the CC License
Deception Island, Antarctica Flickr: Julia Hagle used under the CC License
Deception Island, Antarctica Flickr: Julia Hagle used under the CC License

The trip home

The boat returns home after a week of navigation in the polar waters. Be sure to observe the South Shetland Islands and the Drake Passage! The Drake Passage is the gate to Antarctica, which splits the cold water from the continental water. There, you can see dolphins and whales if you travel during the right season. You can ask the specialists on board for details on this unique marine wildlife.

Drake Passage, Antarctica Flickr: Sura Ark used under the CC License
Drake Passage, Antarctica Flickr: Sura Ark used under the CC License
Humpback Whale Drake Passage, Antarctica Flickr: Jason Auch used under the CC License

Finally, you arrive at Ushuaia Harbour. At the end of the trip, the end of your holidays, you know that you’ve had a fantastic experience.

Ushuaia Harbour, Argentina
Ushuaia Harbour, Argentina

Remote. Untrammeled. Spectacular. Antarctica is one of the most exhilarating adventures on Earth. There are many reasons to explore it.  So, are you ready to leave for a Luxury Cruise?  For more information check out Argentina Exception.

1. Vicki Louise
    November 20, 2016 at 1:04 am

Antarctica is still on my list and i’m so glad it’s becoming more accessible for travelers. There is such a diversity of marine life around there – it’s something I just can’t wait to see for myself!
    Vicki Louise recently posted…What to Expect on an Overland Safari in AfricaMy Profile

November 20, 2016 at 9:20 am

It certainly full with marine life and plenty to see. Penguins have to be my all time favorite to see.

2. Ticker Eats The World
    November 20, 2016 at 1:34 am

Beautiful and certainly Antarctica is the last frontier on Earth, the one place where almost everyone wants to visit. The fact that it’s not the easiest to reach makes it all the more special. I do think having luxury cruises is a great idea and hopefully it will make the route a lot more fun and easily accessible.

November 20, 2016 at 9:27 am

It’s nice that they are upgrading some of the vessels that travel to Antarctica. My mother in law went years ago with National Geo and I give her credit, because it’s a challenging trip .

3. Gokul Raj
    November 20, 2016 at 3:40 am

Antarctica is probably there on every travelers list. The main problem is the difficulty in getting there. It would be worth every buck to just sail through the glaciers.

November 20, 2016 at 9:25 am

It’s worth the trip seeing all the glaciers and all the marine life.

4. anna
    November 20, 2016 at 3:58 am

Oh it looks incredible. I would love to cruise around Antartica. The photos look unreal!
    anna recently posted…Best Places to Stay in Siargao | Top Hotels & HostelsMy Profile

November 20, 2016 at 9:22 am

The seas can be very rough around these areas. It all depends on when you go.

5. Christina
    November 20, 2016 at 5:51 am

If you can survive Drake’s Passage, what you’ll experience in Antarctica is amazing. I also like the Falkland Islands for its history and South Georgia for the awesome king penguins.
    Christina recently posted…6 hilltop towns in Puglia ItalyMy Profile

November 20, 2016 at 9:24 am

I like how you put it, if you survive Drake’s Passage. 🙂 Yes, I agree the seas are very choppy.

6. Mags
    November 20, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Antarctica is pretty high on my list and the only continent I’ve not been to yet! I am nervous about the sea-sickness horror stories, but the photos seem like it’s worth it.

November 20, 2016 at 6:36 pm

I think it’s high on everyones list, but the sea-sickness is a big factor of course.

7. Mike
    November 20, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Antarctica is one of those places I’ve always dreamed about but never really thought I’d make it to. This cruse looks absolutely fantastic! I hope to one day see those glaciers in person 🙂
    Mike recently posted…10 Must Do’s on Gili Air, Indonesia – A week in ParadiseMy Profile

November 29, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Seeing a floating glaciers up close is an experience like no other. I hope you get the chance to go one day soon.

8. Anne
    November 21, 2016 at 3:07 am

I desperately want to go to Antarctica but I don’t think my budget will allow it just yet. It looks utterly stunning and unspoilt. What an adventure
    Anne recently posted…Escape For A More Blissful Manchester Spa Break In The CountryMy Profile

November 29, 2016 at 4:44 pm

It’s not a cheap trip for sure, hopefully more cruise lines will tackle the idea of building ships that are capably of withstanding the ice and cold temperatures of Antarctica.

9. Vishal Vashisht
    November 22, 2016 at 3:14 pm

If I can afford to go to Antartica, I will not wait for tomorrow. My dream destination. Hopefully, I will be visiting there soon enough.

November 29, 2016 at 4:47 pm

It’s quite an expensive trip to go to Antartica these days. Only a handful of leisure travelers had ever considered visiting it, and now it’s becoming a popular destination.

10. Carla Abanes
    November 22, 2016 at 9:53 pm

One of the items on bucketlist! Hope I get to do it someday soon! Thanks for sharing this post too.

November 29, 2016 at 4:48 pm

I hope you get the opportunity to go, it’s quite the adventure.

11. Carol
    November 26, 2016 at 2:57 pm

I find the bright bright blue of glaciers to be completely mesmerizing. Anyone taking the cruise that you are suggesting here should also add on a side trip to the Perito Moreno glacier

November 29, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I agree, the glacier is really mind blowing, you have to stay there long enough to see the ice calving.

12. Brianna
    November 26, 2016 at 3:08 pm

Antarctica has been on my dream last forever. It’s good to know I can see glaciers and penguins with a side of luxury.

November 29, 2016 at 4:51 pm

More luxury cruise lines are starting to explore the idea of traveling to Antarctica. I’ve heard of a few already that are building ships specifically for the journey. Crystal Cruises is one of them.

13. Jessica The Dining Traveler
    November 26, 2016 at 5:00 pm

This looks like the ultimate luxury holiday. Not only luxury by accommodation but also due to the location. Not that many people get to say they’ve been in Antarctica!

November 29, 2016 at 4:55 pm

You definitely won’t find luxury accommodations by some of our standards in these ships, but I’m hopeful that one day soon.

14. Anda
    November 26, 2016 at 8:14 pm

Ah, Carmen, I’m very envious on you! Visiting Tierra del Fuego National Park has been one of my dreams for a long time, but those cruises are so expensive. Your photos look incredible. I’m hoping one day I’ll make it there.

November 29, 2016 at 5:08 pm

Hopefully, more and more cruise lines will start traveling to Antarctica and drive the prices down.

15. Hope
    November 27, 2016 at 1:57 am

This looks like the most amazing experience! There is such a variety in scenic views, even though most of it consists of ice! There also seems to be opportunities to see so much marine wildlife – from the penguins, to seals, to dolphins and whales – what a great opportunity!

November 29, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Just the experience of being on beaches covered with thousands of penguins, and having an abundant of marine life around you makes the trip worth while.

16. Jordan
    December 1, 2016 at 9:09 am

Such an incredible experience! I hope one day I get to go – And luxury no less! Penguins are just adorable – I dont think I could ever get enough of them!
    Jordan recently posted…Romanian UNESCO Sites You Should Visit!My Profile

December 2, 2016 at 9:41 am

I love Penguins, and seeing them up close is even better.

17. Sara Broers
    January 3, 2017 at 7:57 am

Woooaahh.. the colors of the glaciers look out of this world. I have a friend that is leaving for an Antarctica adventure today. It will be interesting to compare her experience to yours. It’s nice to see the ships are being updated, which is always a plus for any avid traveler.
    Sara Broers recently posted…The Pub On The Cedar: Charles City, IowaMy Profile