Family-friendly holidays in Lanzarote

Family-friendly holidays in Lanzarote

EUROPE, SPAIN

With its otherworldly landscape, temperate climate, and multitude of tourist resorts, Lanzarote has long been a popular destination for holidaymakers. This means it is extremely well appointed when it comes to amenities perfect for familes. In fact, the island is one of the best destinations for family trips in the Canary Islands, and is never short of fun activities on offer. Here are some of Lanzarote’s finest family-friendly attractions:

Lanzarote , Canary Island

Submarine Safari

What better way to entertain the kids than with a deep sea adventure? Based in Puerto Calero, Submarine Safaris is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Lanzarote and it is easy to see why. With an hour beneath the waves to experience, you and the kids will have an amazing time seeing the fascinating marine ecosystem of the island’s waters.

Lanzarote Submarine Safaris (Flickr: Tony Gilbert)

Rancho Texas

With its Wild-West theme, Rancho Texas has plenty of reasons to recommend it. From the zoo to the excellent water park there are days’ worth of entertainment on offer. The zoo even boasts crocodiles and tigers among its ranks! Ever-popular with families, the park has more than enough to please children and adults alike.

Rancho Texas Park, Lanzarote (Flickr: John Dale Beckley)

Camel Safaris

Why not take the family on a trek through the craters of Timanfaya National park on the back of a camel? There are few more unusual ways to take in the otherworldy volcanic landscape of the island and to create some fun memories for the whole family.

Camel ride in Timanfaya National Park, Lanzarote, Canary Islands

Aqua Park Costa Teguise

There aren’t many things that kids love more than a good water park! The Aqua Park Costa Teguise has all the water slides and pools your children need for a good time. There are also plenty of slides perfect for grownups too, so you don’t miss out!

Image Aquapark Costa Teguise

Catlanza

Choose a day trip that combines fun for the children and relaxation for the adults with a catamaran cruise around the island. Kids can help set sail and even enjoy a jet ski ride when the boat is moored off the coast at Papagayo. With plenty opportunity to swim, snorkel, and sun bathe, this is easily one of the top family activities in Lanzarote.

Catlanza Sunset Ride in Lanzarote

Images by John Dale BeckleyTony Gilbert, and Aquapark Costa Teguise used under Creative Commons license.

Lanzarote

1. Tom
    August 21, 2016 at 12:01 am

I know several people who often head to the Canary Islands, but I never really knew what was there. With all the visitors then, it’s no wonder thta the place has put together attractions for families.

August 21, 2016 at 11:12 am

All of the islands in the Canary islands are unique with its volcanic landscapes, and black sand beaches. Once you have visited the Canaries you’ll want to go back.

2. Juliette @ Snorkels To Snow
    August 21, 2016 at 2:14 am

Sounds like there’s definitely plenty to do to keep everyone occupied, no matter their age!

August 21, 2016 at 11:14 am

Yes, the island has plenty of activities to keep everyone of all ages occupied.

3. Alina Popescu
    August 21, 2016 at 3:09 am

I’ve heard nothing but great things about Lanzarote. The submarine and camel safaris look like a ton of fun! A few crocodiles and tigers wouldn’t hurt either 🙂

4. carmel
    August 21, 2016 at 4:58 am

A family friendly location with actual interesting this out of the ordinary to do. Great posts

August 21, 2016 at 11:20 am

The Canary Islands is very well known for its marine life. The submarine ride is such a great way to see some of it and it’s also a lot of fun for kids as well.

5. Helena
    August 21, 2016 at 6:27 am

This is a great place to go! I love all of the different types of activities to do. I want to do all of them!

August 21, 2016 at 11:22 am

I think the Camel and Submarine safari are my favorite activities.

6. Lisa
    August 21, 2016 at 8:22 am

Hi Carmen…This looks like a very cool place to visit, less crowded and pretty laid back. Besides the activities, it looks like a great place to explore too! Do you know what are the food options here?
    Lisa recently posted…Touring Kirtland OhioMy Profile

August 21, 2016 at 11:25 am

For the last five years that have heard the “Taste Lanzarote” Food & Wine Festival. I haven’t been to it yet, but I heard great things about it. All the food in Spain is wonderful by the way.

7. Sarah Yekinni
    August 21, 2016 at 8:51 am

I admit I hadn’t heard of Lanzaroye until reading your post! It sounds quite lovely even for a single gal! Riding camels in Spain would be out of this world! Thanks for highlighting this beautiful and diverse travel destination!

August 21, 2016 at 11:27 am

Lanzarote has plenty of nightlife and excellent places to dine. It’s a place that you feel safe all around even if you travel alone.

8. Hannah
    August 21, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Lanzarote looks like the perfect place for a family holiday – plenty to keep everyone entertained

August 22, 2016 at 1:12 pm

The island offers a little something for everyone, and the black beaches are amazing too.

9. Kerri
    August 21, 2016 at 8:11 pm

Beautiful. You know, I look at that submarine and think “I’d love to do it” and then think “agh, subs are so claustrophobic”….I reckon I would still do it though as it just looks fab. Another amazing location Carmen!
    Kerri recently posted…42 days, 6 countries & 4200km of campervan freedomMy Profile

10. Aisha
    August 21, 2016 at 8:32 pm

I do not have kids but I am going to share this article with my friends who love to travel. Family friendly places are a must.
    Aisha recently posted…Egypt – The Mother of CivilizationMy Profile

August 22, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Even if you don’t have kids it’s an island worth checking out. They have some of the best beaches, and marine life if you like to snorkel or dive.

11. Mar Pages
    August 22, 2016 at 12:52 am

Wow the Submarine Safari sounds really interesting, I’m sure children would love it! I’d definitely give Aqua Park Costa Teguise a go as well, never too old for water slides 🙂
    Mar Pages recently posted…Summer in Niseko at The Green Leaf Niseko VillageMy Profile

August 22, 2016 at 3:46 pm

The submarine is actually quite large and spacious so you don’t feel at all claustrophobic. The trip is an hour long and was amazing.

12. Thuymi @ www.AdventureFaktory.com
    August 22, 2016 at 6:13 am

Love your blog! Canary Islands is sooooo on our bucket list! and man the Submarine Safari sounds so great! Cheers for sharing!

August 22, 2016 at 3:48 pm

I’m heading to Tenerife which is the main island in a month. I love the Canary Islands, my father is from there. I hope you get to visit some time soon. 🙂

13. Stephanie
    August 22, 2016 at 9:57 am

It sounds like Lanzarote is well-equipped with activities for the whole family! I think I’d be most excited for the water park, but the catamaran cruise sounds so relaxing. I don’t have kids but Lanzarote sounds like a fun place to go with a group of adults too!
    Stephanie recently posted…Why Less Travel Might Actually Make You HappierMy Profile

August 22, 2016 at 3:58 pm

There’s a growing trend of adult only hotels on the island lately. Plenty of activities, great places to dine, and relax on the island.

14. Arzo Travels
    August 22, 2016 at 11:39 am

What a great holiday – everything look like fun. I would love to do the submarine safari!
    Arzo Travels recently posted…Vegetarian Dining at Mandarin Oriental Geneva – La RivieraMy Profile

August 22, 2016 at 4:09 pm

You will see loads of fish, very clearly, as well as an old sunken ship wreck that acts as a reef. It’s very surreal to see such a site close up underwater.

15. Shane
    August 22, 2016 at 11:49 am

I’ve heard the Canary Islands are breathtaking! Your photos and descriptions surely prove this

August 22, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I’ve been several times to the Canary Islands, and each time I love it even more. I’m actually heading that way in a month.

16. anto
    August 22, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I never made it to Lanzarote unfortunately but have been to some of the other Canary Islands and would love to go back to this area one day, the volcanic landscapes I’ve seen so far are truly amazing!
    anto recently posted…Travel in New Zealand: 10 tips for first timersMy Profile

August 23, 2016 at 11:16 am

My family is from Tenerife, and I’m heading that way in a month. Which islands have you visited, and which one is your favorite so far?

17. danik the explorer
    August 23, 2016 at 4:42 am

great tips here and Lanzarote is built up for family tourism. Been many years since I last been there.

August 23, 2016 at 4:17 pm

The island isn’t just for families, but it does have a lot more activities to keep families entertained while vacationing.

18. Erica
    August 26, 2016 at 8:12 am

I have to try the Camel safari next time I go! Seems awesome!

August 26, 2016 at 4:20 pm

You feel like you’re in another country when you’re on the camel safari. It’s hard to believe that you can do this in the Canary Islands.