10 Fun Facts About the Queen Mary 2

10 Fun Facts About the Queen Mary 2

CRUISES, LUXURY TRAVEL

You’ve probably heard of the Queen Mary, one of the most famous and luxurious cruise ships in the world. Launched in 1934, she was famous as the height of luxury travel.  The Queen Mary was recognized around the world for carrying the great and good – and their dogs too- from Southampton to New York in absolute luxury.

Queen Mary was retired on December 9, 1967.  It was a relic of a time when luxury ocean liners ruled the open seas. Now, it sits as a silent sentinel on the shores of Long Beach, California.

The Queen Mary 2, built-in 2004, is still one of the largest cruise ships worldwide. It offers much space for 2620 passengers and is the only ship going from Southampton or Hamburg to New York within six days.

As her premier ship, Cunard Line spared no expense in building and promoting this great ship.  Following a £90 million refit, the iconic Queen Mary 2 is back on the water and set to sail more of the world’s rich and famous across the seas.

Queen Mary 2 Ship Docked

The vessel has returned to make the transatlantic voyage from Southampton, England to New York, as she did in his first run in 1936 when she quickly captured the hearts of audiences on both sides of the Atlantic, representing the spirit of an era known for its elegance, class and style.

Queen Mary 2 Cruise Ship

The luxury liner has been carefully remastered with new contemporary interior designs and guest experiences, many of which take inspiration from the original Queen Mary which launched at the height of the art-deco movement in the 1930s. Cunard’s investment, marking 80 years since the original liner launched, has ensured every detail from the carpets to the curtains recalls that iconic vessel which became a symbol of British elegance.

Here are 10 fun facts about the great Queen Mary 2

1.  Queen Mary 2 has 17 decks. She also towers 200 ft above the water line, the equivalent of a 23-storey building.
  2. Queen Mary 2 was the first Atlantic liner built in 35 years and the first of the 21st Century
  3. Her Majesty the Queen, accompanied by His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, named Queen Mary 2 in Southampton on 8 January 2004.
  4. Queen Mary 2 and also the Queen Victoria are the only Cunard ships to have been christened with champagne. It was Cunard tradition to use wine from Australia or the Commonwealth.
  5. Queen Mary 2 is 129 feet longer than the Shard in London is tall, 147 feet longer than the Eiffel Tower is tall and more than 3 ½ times as long as Big Ben (Westminster Tower) is high. She is as long as 36 double-decker London buses and only 117 feet shorter than the height of the Empire State Building.
  6. One of Queen Mary 2’s whistles is an original from Queen Mary so that her famous predecessor’s voice is still heard at sea today. It is audible for 10miles.
  7. Queen Mary 2 is perhaps the most innovative ship Cunard has built-in terms of her propulsion system and the cache of ‘firsts’ and exclusives when she first entered service – many of them still unique to the flagship today. Among the long list is the first Planetarium at sea, the first cultural academy operated by the University of Oxford and the first Canyon Ranch Spa at sea.
  8. When Queen Mary 2 arrived in Southampton in May 2014 to celebrate her first ten years in service she could claim that since her Maiden Voyage in January 2004 she had sailed almost 1.5 million nautical miles, completed over 200 Atlantic crossings, undertaken 419 voyages and called at 177 ports in 60 countries with Southampton being the most visited port (186 calls) and New York second (185 calls).
  9.  The annual sugar consumption on board Queen Mary 2 is enough to make eight million scones.
  10. Queen Mary 2 was used as a hotel ship at the Athens Olympics in 2004.

Aboard the Queen Mary 2 guests can immerse themselves in an atmosphere of sophistication, glamor and luxury that make them lose track of time. Excellent food tasting, accompanied by wines from the best wine in the world at sea, makes the crossing  an unforgettable experience.

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to be treated to the finest service at sea then watch the video for a first class tour of the recently remastered Queen Mary 2, presented by Robert Howie who is the ship’s Hotel Manager.

QueenMary

1. Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren
    August 8, 2016 at 11:22 pm

I didn’t know any of this! What a fascinating ship. I visited the Queen Mary in Long Beach recently and really enjoyed it. Great post, thanks for sharing 🙂
    Lauren Meshkin @BonVoyageLauren recently posted…The Library Hotel Collection – My Favorite NYC Hotels!My Profile

August 9, 2016 at 8:12 am

It’s definitely a classy ship and one of the best ways to cross the Atlantic in style.

2. Suze - Luxury Columnist
    August 10, 2016 at 5:16 pm

It’s nice that they’ve retained one of the original whistles!
    Suze – Luxury Columnist recently posted…48 Hours in Dublin: How to Make the Most of Your TimeMy Profile

August 13, 2016 at 4:45 pm

The ship is such a historical ocean liner that I’m glad they used some of the original elements from the original ship too.

3. Kerri
    August 13, 2016 at 5:02 am

It never ceases to amaze me how enormous these ships are – 17 decks wow! and the sugar consumption – that is incredible and probably a little scary. Wonder if this includes all the alcohol consumed? Such a glorious boat. Thanks for all the info.
    Kerri recently posted…How to keep you and your campervan safeMy Profile

4. Claire
    August 13, 2016 at 5:42 am

I need to up my cruise ship knowledge, as I’ve never heard of the Queen Mary 2! Love the quote about the sugar consumption – that’s a lot of scones!

August 13, 2016 at 4:47 pm

It’s quite the ship. If you’re ever in Long Beach, CA make sure to check out the Queen Mary which is on display.

5. Christina
    August 13, 2016 at 6:12 am

One of my dreams is to travel around the world on the Queen Mary for a year with my dog! I totally understand about the eight million scones. When I was on the Queen Elizabeth I ate my fair share. Those scones are delicious and the British-style afternoon tea is a lovely onboard tradition.

August 13, 2016 at 4:48 pm

I’m sure the Queen Elizabeth was quite the experience in itself. That’s one of the things I really miss is the afternoon teas onboard.

6. rik aka tapirtales.com
    August 13, 2016 at 6:25 am

Oh boy, I can only dream of this kind of luxury travel.

August 13, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Sailing on the QM2 is on everyones budget list. Just the size of the ship and all of its amenities can keep you busy for days.

7. Llamateurs
    August 13, 2016 at 6:53 am

What?!! Eight million scones? We people consume a lot of sugar… But anayway – it could be a paradise!! 🙂

August 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm

One of my favorites things to eat are scones with my afternoon tea. I can see why they are so popular with guest.

8. Arzo Travels
    August 13, 2016 at 6:58 am

You are right, never heard of those facts though I know Queen Mary of course (on my list to do such a cruise 🙂
    Arzo Travels recently posted…Review: La Spa at Villa Orselina in LocarnoMy Profile

August 13, 2016 at 4:52 pm

They are many more fun facts about the ship but I would need to post a few more articles to cover all of them.

9. Anne Slater-Brooks
    August 13, 2016 at 11:29 am

I would love to do the cruise from the Uk to New York. Don’t suppose there would be much sunbathing going on but arriving into New York would be pretty spectacular!

August 13, 2016 at 4:53 pm

I guess it depends on what time of year you go. Although, it can get a bit chilly on those decks.

10. Christopher
    August 13, 2016 at 2:30 pm

I’ve only ever been on one cruise ship and that was with Disney. Maybe not as luxurious as the Queen Mary 2 but absolute fun none the less. I want to go on an Alaskan cruise ship…

August 13, 2016 at 4:55 pm

We did an Alaskan cruise with the family two years ago. The weather was terrible in July (cold and rainy). We did enjoy seeing the icebergs folding in the water, and glaciers.

11. Jackie Sills-Dellegrazie
    August 13, 2016 at 6:01 pm

What a beautiful ship! The experience of sailing from Southampton to New York would be incredible. I also like the history of the first ship and using it as an example for the current one. Do you know if you can visit the other one?
    Jackie Sills-Dellegrazie recently posted…United Changes Stopover Rules on Award FlightsMy Profile

August 14, 2016 at 11:46 am

Yes, the original ship the Queen Mary is docked in Long Beach, CA. You can go on tours of the ship.

12. Angela
    August 13, 2016 at 9:36 pm

Wow, 17 decks!? That sounds crazy and awesome all at the same time. I get seasick so I don’t love cruising, but would jump on this one in a heartbeat!

August 14, 2016 at 11:47 am

I get seasick too, but on these big ships you don’t feel it the rocking so much.

13. Evan Kristine
    August 14, 2016 at 1:10 pm

Quite cool that it was used as a hotel during the Athens Olympics!
    Evan Kristine recently posted…Hello past meet present. It is quite a wild introduction, is it?My Profile

August 15, 2016 at 5:54 pm

It makes total sense since it can accommodate so many people.

14. Travelgretl
    August 14, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Wohohowly mow, what a ship! She must be a dream to travel with 😊

August 15, 2016 at 5:56 pm

It a dream come true it you get the opportunity to go on the QM2.

15. anna
    August 14, 2016 at 8:25 pm

I can’t believe it’s longer than The Shard! I’ve never been on a cruise before but it does sound like a fantastic experience.
    anna recently posted…Epic Adventure Challenges Around the World with Large MinorityMy Profile

August 15, 2016 at 9:14 pm

We went on the Oasis of the Seas which is still considered one of the largest cruise ships and it was quite the experience. The ship holds up to 6k passengers/cruise members.

16. Katja Gaskell
    August 14, 2016 at 10:05 pm

She is enormous!! I’ve never really been taken with the idea of a cruise but I think a voyage on the Queen Mary 2 would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

August 15, 2016 at 9:48 pm

We have been on several cruises, my last cruise was on the Oasis of the Seas. They has a lot of activities on the ship to keep you busy and entertained.

17. Mimi
    August 15, 2016 at 12:55 pm

A lot of history here. It has been quite a while since we toured the retired Queen Mary in Long Beach. I was not aware that there is a QM2. Thanks for taking me there…the descriptions are amazing!

August 15, 2016 at 9:53 pm

I’m glad to hear that you saw the Queen Mary in CA. The new ship is just as big and more grand then the old one.

18. Elisa
    August 15, 2016 at 5:02 pm

cool post! do you know if it is possible to visit the Old Queen Mary? Thanks
    Elisa recently posted…How to plan your next trip to ParisMy Profile

August 15, 2016 at 9:58 pm

Yes, the old Queen Mary is docked in Long Beach, CA, and offers daily tours of the ship. You can even stay overnight in one of the rooms.

19. anneklien meanne
    August 15, 2016 at 5:05 pm

What a great interesting facts about this stunning ship. I recently been to Scandinavian cruising and i had an awesome time. I hope one day I’ll join the QM2 voyage-that for sure will be a lifetime experience!

August 15, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Cruise ships just keep getting bigger and bigger. Just when I thought the QM2 was the largest ship, Royal Caribbean came out with the Harmony of the Seas which is even longer.

20. Karlaroundtheworld | Karla
    August 16, 2016 at 1:06 pm

I am lucky to be near the legend! It’s really cool to learn more about these cruises and ships, they always hold a rich amount of history behind them.

August 17, 2016 at 10:49 am

I agree the Queen Mary was a legendary ship in its era. It was a ship that only the rich and famous could afford to sail on.

21. Annika
    August 17, 2016 at 1:31 am

I’m hoping that someday I can try this kind of luxury travel! Fingers crossed.

August 17, 2016 at 10:50 am

We love cruising with the family, and hope to take the transatlantic trip one day soon.

22. Travelling Tom
    August 18, 2016 at 12:43 pm

A £90 million refit!? That must be one fancy ship! I might have seen this ship in Auckland when I was there! If it’s bigger than the one I saw then I’ll be amazed! It was huge!
    Travelling Tom recently posted…Ultimate Adelaide to Melbourne Road Trip GuideMy Profile

August 20, 2016 at 10:32 am

I know isn’t it crazy that they spend a fortune on the refurbishing, but I guess it’s less expensive than building a new ship.

23. Ticker Eats The World
    December 18, 2016 at 12:29 am

I’ve only ever been on one proper cruise but loved the experience. The QM2 is quite the iconic ship and it’s interesting that they’ve used the whistle from the original as a continuation o shorts. Lovely post as always.

24. Gary
    March 8, 2017 at 3:58 pm

Interesting article on Queen Mary 2, the only part that is inacurate is the fact that you said she is the largest cruise ship. For a starters Queen Mary 2 is not a Cruise Ship, she is an Ocean Liner. In fact she is the largest Ocean Liner in the world that is in service.

25. Brian D F
    March 9, 2017 at 2:20 pm

RMS Queen Mary 2 Is a true Ocean liner and the only one In the world made with The Atlantic Ocean In mind and to provide crossings across The Atlantic Ocean from Southampton UK & to New York & return from New York (Brooklyn Red Hook Cruise Terminal). Several of the crossings (Voyages) on selected dates make calls to Halifax, Nova Scotia and/or Boston,USA. Indeed It’s always a pleasure to be on board RMS Queen Mary 2 that caters for both Cats and Dogs Transatlantic Crossings only as far as I am aware?