5 Luxury Activities You Didn’t Know You Could Do On A Safari

5 Luxury Activities You Didn’t Know You Could Do On A Safari

AFRICA, LUXURY TRAVEL

When it comes to travel, going on a safari is usually one of the more adventurous options out there. So naturally, the idea might be unsettling to travelers who are more eager to explore in comfort.

That’s where websites like Stride Travel can help. Stride helps you review, compare and book multi-day trips, and features a variety of itineraries that let luxury travelers get their share of adventure, too.

Here are 5 ways to incorporate luxury into your next safari experience.

Wine Tastings and Tours

shutterstock_211884511

South Africa’s wine industry has grown rapidly and become increasingly popular among wine tasting circles.

Whether it’s at Cape Winelands District’s renowned wine estates in South Africa or in a luxurious hotel bar in Kenya, safari trips are ripe with opportunity to indulge your passion for wine and explore some of the local labels.

You should definitely try to get a taste of this experience if you have the chance. And check out Stride’s culinary and wine tasting guide beforehand to get some tips on wine tasting etiquette.

Hot Air Balloons and Cable Car Rides

hot air balloon

Going on a safari will give you the chance to visit some of the most beautiful places on the planet. But while game drives and scenic walks might let you see these areas up close, there’s nothing quite like viewing them from the air as you and your travel companions relax in a hot air balloon soaring over Masai Mara or in a spacious cable car on your way up to the summit of Table Mountain.

Luxury Lodging

shutterstock_317935109

When it comes to safaris, choosing the right tour operator can make or break your experience. If you’re not looking to rough it, there are several tour operators who offer luxury accommodation as a part of their packages. And it can get pretty extravagant!

From dining tents decorated with local art and glittering chandeliers, to hillside villas overlooking the Indian Ocean in Seychelles, to hotels complete with spa treatments and private pools, the tour companies featured on Stride can offer you luxury lodging options you never knew were possible on a safari.

Private Sundowner Cruises

shutterstock_237053119

At the end of a long day of visiting beautiful UNESCO world heritage sites and interacting with animals in their natural habitats, you can wind down on a private sundowner cruise and end your day in style. Some of them will come complete with drinks, tapas and fun music so that you are sure to have a wonderful evening out on the water.

Rovos Rail

train-1430637_960_720

One of the pride and joys of Africa, Rovos Rail is a private luxury train company that sends travelers all over the continent. Board one of their beautiful trains for a scenic two-night ride through cities like Witwatersrand or Kimberely and get a unique perspective on the continent as you make your way to Cape Town or some other fascinating destination.

Stride Travel features all of these opportunities and more, along with hundreds of guides written by a network of experienced and knowledgeable destination experts.

Check out all their luxury safari trips so that you can start planning your perfect getaway.

Safari

1. Cathy
    July 10, 2016 at 12:37 am

I generally rough it but some of these look amazing. I’d love to safari again and I wouldn’t mind some luxury added to the trip! Gourmet food is always appreciated!
    Cathy recently posted…What do teenagers think of Fathom Cruises?My Profile

July 11, 2016 at 8:37 pm

The safari is always a good idea when you are traveling to Africa and the food is the perfect complement to this so special journey.

2. Kenny
    July 10, 2016 at 3:19 am

Thanks for the tips and I would definitely go for hot air balloons and luxury lodging – nothing better than staying in a warm, comfy lodge in the safari embraced by nature. @ knycx.journeying

July 11, 2016 at 4:15 pm

Being surrounded by wild nature is certainly a good choice. Balloons can provide a new perspective to admire the scenery from the sky and after all that adrenaline, resting in a comfortable bed will be truly ideal.

3. Toni | 2 Aussie Travellers
    July 10, 2016 at 5:36 am

Seeing the landscape from the perspective of a hot air balloon would be incredible. What a different way to experience it.
    Toni | 2 Aussie Travellers recently posted…Chinese Friendship Garden in SydneyMy Profile

July 11, 2016 at 4:41 pm

I’m sure the views from a hot air balloon has to be amazing. I’ve never done it before but I should keep it in mind for one of my next trips.

4. sabrina barbante
    July 10, 2016 at 6:52 am

private sundowner cruise and wine tasting in particular are the first things I’d love to try. but I’m very curious to try also all the rest you are suggesting.

July 11, 2016 at 4:51 pm

The combination of the cruise, wine tasting and luxury accommodation is probably one of the best options if you want to have a complete experience.

5. Harvey (H-Bomb's Worldwide Karaoke)
    July 10, 2016 at 12:51 pm

I’m too afraid off heights to go up in a hot air balloon (plus, don’t you usually have to get up early in the morning for that? Then again, you also have to get up super-early in the a.m. for safari game drives). When I went on safari, I stayed in a private bungalow at a game lodge that was very comfortable.

I hadn’t been aware that you can take a safari cruise. That’s definitely a unique way to see the wildlife.

July 11, 2016 at 5:12 pm

It’s true, you need to wake up very early for these kind of activities, but thankfully there are always options for those who love sleep, like staying in a bungalow as you have mentioned. On the sundowner cruise you can enjoy wild nature in a more relaxing way.

6. Fiona Maclean
    July 10, 2016 at 4:38 pm

I’ve never been on safari, but I think I’d far rather go for the luxury end! Sounds fabulous
    Fiona Maclean recently posted…The Crab and Lobster in Sidlesham – ReviewMy Profile

July 11, 2016 at 5:23 pm

You should go, it could be one of the most exciting experiences you’ve ever had.

7. Mansoureh
    July 10, 2016 at 4:50 pm

Hot air balloon and Rovos rail look amazing. I went to Cappadocia but didn’t have chance to take air Balloon tour, I hope one day I do

July 11, 2016 at 5:40 pm

Both the balloon and Rovos rail are good choices with a touch of luxury and charm. I’ve never been on a balloon tour but, like you, I hope to be try it soon.

8. Meg Jerrard
    July 10, 2016 at 8:37 pm

I would love to take a hot air balloon ride while on safari – I can imagine it would be completely magical soaring high above the African savanna looking down!
    Meg Jerrard recently posted…Top 5 Destinations For Movie BuffsMy Profile

July 11, 2016 at 5:55 pm

I would love to take one too. From my desk I can picture how the view looks like from above. It would surely be more wonderful and exciting than I can imagine.

9. John Morris
    July 11, 2016 at 12:18 am

I’d do a winery tour on every trip if I had the time. South Africa, particularly around Cape Town, is really producing a lot of great wine. Hope I have a chance to try some of these recommendations out soon!

July 11, 2016 at 6:26 pm

In the South and East coast of Africa they still make wine the old way, and that’s way their wine is among the best in the world. That’s the reason why the countries of this region, like Kenya and South Africa, are becoming destinations for connoisseurs of wine. It would be great if you can go soon.

10. Mar Pages
    July 11, 2016 at 1:13 am

A safari would look ten times more magical from a hot air balloon, before coming back to an amazing dinner in a luxurious tent. I have another trip to a safari planned really soon- can’t wait!
    Mar Pages recently posted…3 Michelin Star Enoteca Pinchiorri reviewMy Profile

July 11, 2016 at 6:34 pm

That’s great that you are going on a safari again soon. I think it would be a wonderful experience if you had the opportunity to see beautiful scenery, eat delicious food, and have a luxurious place to stay.

11. Janna on a Jaunt (@jannaonajaunt)
    July 11, 2016 at 1:36 am

I would’ve never guessed that these can be all done during a safari. That’s awesome! I’m partial to the hot air balloon ride and cruise so you’ll definitely find me there! 😀

July 11, 2016 at 6:45 pm

You can do many things in a one day of a safari and still have time to experienced different things. All of them are wonderful.

12. Salini
    July 11, 2016 at 2:53 am

Hi Edelson,

The article was very refreshing, clear and crisp. Yes, people always associate safari with adventurous and somewhat uncomfortable expedition. However, your article proves otherwise 🙂 Great to know about the Rovos Rail. I have never known such a thing existed! Would definitely add to my itinerary if I ever plan to visit Africa.
    Thanks
    Salini

July 11, 2016 at 7:55 pm

Exactly, if you experience things differently you can turn it into something new, that’s the key of travel blogs like mine. I always recommend Rovos Rail for people who travel to Africa because it’s one of the most luxury trains.

13. João Leitão
    July 11, 2016 at 2:58 am

Being able to do a safari is great way to turn your holidays into a unforgettable moment. Your luxury activities are probably unknown for most people, as we usually center ourselves on thinking about the wildlife and not really some nice activities like the ones you point out. Hot Air Balloons rides are the highlights of my travels. Well done.
    João Leitão recently posted…Travel in Iraq, Amazing places possible to visit in 2016-2017My Profile

July 11, 2016 at 8:10 pm

The good part of these activities is that they allow you to combine wild things with luxury, and turn the experience into something memorable, from the most exciting activities such as balloon tour to the quietest enjoying a good wine on a cruise.

14. Drew
    July 11, 2016 at 3:02 am

I have always wanted to stay at one of the luxurious safari lodges. I actually just read Travel + Leisure’s annual list of best safari lodges and it had got me thinking about booking a trip! Though I still say I need to combine a safari with a tour through the South Africa wine region. Why do one when you could do both!
    Drew recently posted…Corners of the Internet #12My Profile

July 11, 2016 at 8:27 pm

Of course, it’s a great opportunity to add many others activities to the traditional safari. Thus, it will be an exciting and fun trip. I hope you can go there soon and you consider my recommendations.

15. Bharat & Supriya
    July 11, 2016 at 4:03 pm

All of these sound so tempting. I’d known Rovos Rail and would love to get on it someday. Thanks for sharing 🙂

July 11, 2016 at 8:31 pm

I’m sure that you will enjoy a ride aboard Rovos Rail, it’s a unique train and a good way to see Africa.

16. Annika of 457 Australia
    July 12, 2016 at 10:33 pm

Hot air balloon in Safari sounds fun to do while there. Will bookmark your blog for future reference. What do you think is the best month to book a flight to Safari?

July 13, 2016 at 10:50 am

The best month for viewing animals, and also the temperatures aren’t so hot are April-May or September.

17. Priya
    August 25, 2016 at 7:15 pm

Would love to do a luxury Safari soon, these activities look amazing!

August 26, 2016 at 4:35 pm

Safari’s seem to be one of the top things to see on everyones bucket list. There are so many other things to do other than seeing the wild animals.

18. Wiz tours
    November 28, 2016 at 6:51 am

Cool article, Congrats !

November 29, 2016 at 4:36 pm

Thanks! Just letting everyone know that their are other things to do if they go on a Safari.

19. Faith
    December 13, 2016 at 7:30 am

Great article. I always loose myself in safaris and cruises whenever I get the chance. However i find Hot air Ballooning especially when done over a national park tends to scare away the animals (as witnessed in Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda). Although you forgot to mention Gorilla Habituation! Very appealing to primate lovers and you can spend hours tracking the endangered mountain gorillas, witnessing humanity in the wild