il Paesano Italian Gourmet Food & Wine Market Review – A Taste of Italy in Fort Lauderdale

FLORIDA, FOOD + WINE, FORT LAUDERDALE

We discovered this wonderful gourmet cafe, deli, and wine market called il Paesano about five minutes from our home on East Oakland Blvd in Fort Lauderdale.  It’s on the north side of Oakland Park Boulevard which I pass by several times daily but I passed it by for months without noticing it until my husband suggested that we stop one day.

il Paesano Italian Gourmet Food & Wine Market Store Front

il Paesano is a cafe in the classical sense of the term; not a restaurant. It’s also very thoroughly Italian, so much so that I wouldn’t know the difference between eating here or in Italy.  It’s a family run business that not only serves fresh authentic Italian meals, but alway sells delicious products, mostly imported from Italy.

il Paesano Italian Gourmet Food & Wine Market Indoor Seating

Besides having a display case of daily food offerings, they also have a blackboard of daily specials, generally consisting of Panini Sandwiches. The menu changes daily and the food is made fresh daily.

il Paesano Italian Gourmet Food & Wine Market Food Selection

We ordered the Italia Panini with prosciutto de parma, fresh buffalo mozzarella, homemade pesto, tomatoes and extra virgin olive oil.   As we waiting for our paninis to be prepared, they bought us a plate of olives and assorted cheeses and cured meats.

il Paesana Italia Panini and Food Selections

My Italia was delicious, prepared with Italian panni bread, and was true in every detail to those I’ve had in Italy. And, the simple small dining arrangements also held true to the cafes of Italy.

We enjoyed our lunch so much that we went back again for dinner.  This time I went for the eggplant lasagne, and a salad of fresh arugula, buffalo mozzarella with slides of prosciutto.  My husband had their gnocchi, which I tasted and it too was delicious. The owners Vergilio and Paola are incredibly friendly and happy to accommodate.  It’s more like being a guest in someone’s house than being in a commercial restaurant.

il Paesana Dinner Selections

il Paseano Gnochi

We were stuffed but couldn’t resist ordering one of  their Italian desserts on display.  The Nutella cake was scrumptious.

il Paseano Nutella Cake

As both  a cafe and market, il Paesano has a vast selection of Italian wines, cheeses, sausages, pastas and other food products.

il Paseano Cheese and Breads

il Paseano Meats, Olives Oils and Pastas Selections

The Italian wine selection is fantastic and you take it off the rack.  The wine cellar area is also used for private dinners, and can seat up to six adults.

il Paesano Wine Cellar

iL Paesano hosts wine tasting classes for beginners.  It’s a fun way to spend a few hours and tasting a selection of 5 wines, paired with food to accompanying the wine.   Space is limited to 15 persons per class.

I can’t say enough about the excellent food and wine and unbelievably charming hosts. The food is one of the best Italian food I’ve had in South Florida! The prices were very affordable and we cannot wait to go back.

il Paesano Italian Gourmet Food Cafe, Deli and Wine Market                        2645 East Oakland Park Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33306
(954) 396-1700

Taste of Italy

1. Kathy Kirby
    June 6, 2016 at 10:57 am

We discovered il Paesano last February and I believe we probably ate there 15 times before heading back to Michigan late April. We made a huge effort to share this little piece of heaven with all our friends who live in the area year round. Virgil and Paola are just like family and we are hopeful that they’ll have a great summer and fall so we can join them again in January. The market and the dining are truly authentic, fantastic and delicious.

June 6, 2016 at 11:49 am

That’s wonderful! Just like you we have been there multiple times as well for either lunch or dinner. When I don’t want to cook, I go by and pick up some homemade pasta and salad for dinner. All the meals are delicious and I can eat their everyday.

2. Suze - Luxury Columnist
    June 6, 2016 at 1:00 pm

You just can’t go wrong with Italian food, they take real pride in it! I hope you enjoy the wine tasting class if you go
    Suze – Luxury Columnist recently posted…Reykjavik, Iceland – What To See and DoMy Profile

June 6, 2016 at 1:17 pm

You cannot go wrong with pretty much anything on their menu. I haven’t had the chance to do the wine tasting class yet, but will eventually.

3. Andra
    June 26, 2016 at 5:21 am

I just love Italian food. Restaurants serving authentic Italian foods are rarely missed in our travels. It’s so nice that you guys got to discover this little Italian gem.
    Andra recently posted…Can Bucharest Be Pretty?My Profile

June 26, 2016 at 11:50 am

I can eat Italian food everyday. We just happen to drive by one day and my husband said lets stop here for lunch. It was truly a great find.

4. Vicki Louise
    June 26, 2016 at 7:44 am

It looks and sounds lovely – Italian is my favorite cuisine! Will definitely look this place up when I am in the area! Looking forward to hearing how the wine tasting goes if you make it.
    Vicki Louise recently posted…Should We Stop Using AirBnB?My Profile

June 26, 2016 at 11:51 am

I happen to miss the wine tasting event this month because I was traveling, but will definitely make their next one.

5. LeAnna Brown
    June 26, 2016 at 10:51 am

Nice to know that even after we move back to the US from Europe that we’ll still be able to find little gems that remind us of life in Europe!
    LeAnna Brown recently posted…Brexit: What Does this Mean for Travel?My Profile

June 26, 2016 at 11:52 am

One of my favorite things when we travel to Europe is dining in little off the beaten track places like this one.

6. Fiona Maclean
    June 26, 2016 at 10:53 am

Sounds very good and pretty authentic! I am not suprised you ended up feeling very full!
    Fiona Maclean recently posted…Back on the 5:2 Diet – I need your help!My Profile

June 26, 2016 at 11:55 am

Of all the Italian food that I have tasted in the states, this is one of the best restaurants.

7. Mar Pages
    June 27, 2016 at 2:42 am

Its always exciting to find new restaurants in the area, I should make it a point to try eateries I’ve seen but never tried. Love the authenticity in this cafe!
    Mar Pages recently posted…Slow Travel in Tuscany: Chasing ancient Maremmane cowsMy Profile

June 29, 2016 at 7:16 pm

I really like finding local restaurants like this one that I consider a gem. The food is fantastic!

8. Jen Joslin
    June 27, 2016 at 4:52 am

I love Italian food and this post made me hungry! Everything looks so delicious, especially that nutella cake 🙂 Great find!

June 29, 2016 at 7:20 pm

I can eat here everyday, but would put on 25 pounds by the end of the month.

9. Carly Moore
    June 27, 2016 at 5:16 am

You just can’t beat a family run business. They survive for so long because they’re so good! Love the look of their wine selection!
    Carly Moore recently posted…UNESCO # 8 – The Historic Site of LyonMy Profile

June 29, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Being a family run business makes it extra special for us. It’s like having a home cooked meal each time we go.

10. Jennifer Melroy
    June 28, 2016 at 2:03 am

This looks like a great little place to have a glass of wine and a sweet treat. Very cute.
    Jennifer Melroy recently posted…Spring Break on a Deserted Island ~ Dry Tortugas National ParkMy Profile

July 4, 2016 at 7:27 pm

It’s the perfect place to stop for a glass of wine and some fine Italian cheeses and snacks.