5 Luxuries you can enjoy on a Holiday in Turkey

5 Luxuries you can enjoy on a Holiday in Turkey

EUROPE, TURKEY

When you think of rich cultural sites and world-class beaches in the eastern Mediterranean, altogether too many people instantly think of Greece. But you should not overlook nearby Turkey! This destination is known for historic hotspots like the Grand Bazaar and Hagia Sophia, and for the pristine coastlines of the Anatolian peninsula and the Turquoise Coast.

Even better, holidays in Turkey’s top hotels are readily available, and you can discover some of the country’s most luxurious amenities from their cool and comfortable chambers. So, why not start dreaming about a trip to Turkey packed with some of the 5 activities suggested below?

1.  Scuba Diving in Oludeniz

Oludeniz (Image credit to heydrienne via Flickr)
Oludeniz, Turkey (Image credit to Heydrienne via Flickr)

Located on the famous Turquoise Coast in south-western Turkey, Oludeniz is a small village and beach resort located between a lush national park and the sparkling waters of the Mediterranean Sea. Oludeniz is known not only for its local resorts, but also for its range of outdoor activities, which include hiking, tandem paragliding, and snorkelling. The waters surrounding Oludeniz provide scuba divers with an excellent opportunity to explore underwater caves and spot local sea-life.

2.  Discover Ancient Fethiye from a Luxury Resort

Tomb of Amyntas in Fethiye, Turkey ( Image credit to Vitaly via Flickr)
Tomb of Amyntas in Fethiye, Turkey ( Image credit to Vitaly via Flickr)

Just to the north of Oludeniz, Fethiye is a port city set against a backdrop of crystal clear waters. It offers ancient cultural sites like the remainder of the ancient Lycian city Telmessos. Or there’s the Tomb of Amyntas, which overlooks the city from a bluff and dates back to the 4th century BC. The local Sensatori Resort provides its visitors with the ultimate accommodation for their stay, including sweeping views of the sea, a stone beach, a standout pool, and fine dining.

3.  Enjoy a High End Boat Trip

While hanging around on the beach can be fun, it is thrilling to get out to sea and experience a wide range of activities on the water, including everything from sunbathing on deck and sipping cocktails, to snorkeling and discovering phosphorus caves. Just ask your hotel concierge for the best local boat tour services in your area.

4.  Get Pampered on the Turkish Riviera

Image credit to Erkki Nokso-Koivisto via Flickr
Image credit to Erkki Nokso-Koivisto via Flickr

Let’s ignore the obvious pull of the capital city of Istanbul. Instead, let’s look at the town of Marmaris, located along the spectacular Turkish Riviera. Marmaris offers a vibrant nightlife, and during the day you can take part in a whole range of luxury coastal activities that include sailing and diving. Find a luxury hotel set amidst the stunning pine forests on the tip of a peninsula, and you’ll have the perfect opportunity to experience the luscious landscapes, be pampered with spa treatments, and served with the finest national foods.

5.  Go a Round of Golf

Antalya Golf Course, Turkey (Image credit Golf und Reisen Flickr)
Antalya Golf Course, Turkey (Image credit Golf and Reisen Flickr)

While it might not be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the offerings of the Turkish Coast, the region of Antalya features a number of fine golf courses that visitors will enjoy playing throughout their stay. Head out for a round on one of Turkey’s premier golf courses, many of which are endorsed by some of the biggest names in the sport including Colin Montgomerie.

With so much to see and do, your luxury break will be equally relaxing and thrilling. Have you visited Turkey and have some high-end high jinks you’d like to share? Let us know below.

Screen Shot 2016-05-24 at 12.25.05 PM

1. Drew
    May 28, 2016 at 3:43 am

Having only been to Turkey once, I was sucked in by the pull of Istanbul and literally never left. However, I’ve been on the lookout for another visit, to some of the ‘outside Istanbul’ is definitely on the docket this time!

May 28, 2016 at 11:17 am

Turkey has many other cities other than Istanbul that are worth visiting. I’m a big fan of Istanbul myself. Especially the markets. 🙂

2. Toni | 2 Aussie Travellers
    May 28, 2016 at 3:52 am

Some great options here. The combo of diving in Oludeniz and the history of nearby Fethiye would be a great choice, those tombs look incredible.
    Toni | 2 Aussie Travellers recently posted…Taronga Zoo SydneyMy Profile

May 28, 2016 at 11:20 am

There are rock tombs scattered all about this area of Turkey and the ones in Fethiye are easily to see and if you are fairly fit you can actually walk right up to them and look inside.

3. Claire
    May 28, 2016 at 4:47 am

I did some great boat tours when I was in Turkey. Def a great thing to do there
    Claire recently posted…Hotel Review: Alisea Boutique HotelMy Profile

May 28, 2016 at 11:24 am

Did you do a boat tour in the town of Fethiye? The views are spectacular from the water.

4. Meg Jerrard
    May 28, 2016 at 7:28 am

This came at the perfect time – we’re heading to Turkey this coming August. I really can’t wait – will be first spending a few days in Istanbul and then branching out from there. Thanks for the tips!
    Meg Jerrard recently posted…Camping 101: What to Pack for an Australian Camping AdventureMy Profile

May 28, 2016 at 11:21 am

The rock tombs above Fethiye are a must see. They were exposed when Fethiye experienced a major earthquake which revealed them after thousands of years. Lots of steps to climb, which can be taxing on a hot day.

5. Travelwith2ofus
    May 28, 2016 at 4:06 pm

I have never given Turkey much thought, but now I see it’s a really beautiful place. I love all the suggestion you have made. I especially want to check out the Tomb of Amyntas. Your photos of snorkeling in the turquoise water of Oludeniz reminds me of the Caribbean a little.
    Travelwith2ofus recently posted…The most beautiful cruise ship ports in the CaribbeanMy Profile

June 3, 2016 at 8:32 am

Most people are only familiar with Istanbul and aren’t aware of all the other cities around Turkey that have so much to offer.

6. danik
    May 29, 2016 at 1:33 am

Some great options here if I fancy to get away from the backpacking around the country. Great post 🙂

June 3, 2016 at 8:33 am

I’m sure it’s the perfect place to go backpacking around.

7. Aileen Adalid
    May 29, 2016 at 8:53 pm

Turky simply looks amazing and I’ve been eyeing this country for a while now! As your post had showcased here, it’s truly a place that I must get myself to soon! I’ll be keeping these activities in mind 😉
    Aileen Adalid recently posted…A Memorable Stay: The ‘Suite Life’ at Dusit Thani Manila, PhilippinesMy Profile

June 3, 2016 at 8:34 am

We really enjoyed our time in Turkey and I’m sure you will too!

8. Mar Pages
    May 30, 2016 at 12:17 am

I usually see posts on Istanbul but you’re right, Turkey has so much more to offer. These luxurious options look incredible, exploring Ancient Fethiye is right up my alley!
    Mar Pages recently posted…The mystic world of Banyan Tree Lang CoMy Profile

June 3, 2016 at 8:35 am

Most of the post I see are on Istanbul, but people don’t write about some of the other areas that are worth seeing too.

9. Vicki Louise
    June 1, 2016 at 2:43 am

I’m heading to Turkey this year and will defiantly be scuba diving – and I’m just finalizing which high end boat cruise I am going to go on! Great tips!
    Vicki Louise recently posted…Travel Photo Tuesday (Ep.22)My Profile

June 3, 2016 at 8:37 am

That’s great! I’m not a scuba person but we definitely saw many fishes when we went snorkeling.

10. Mevlut Uysal
    June 1, 2016 at 3:36 am

Hi Carmen,

Turkey seems to be a great place to visit. My friends visited this place few weeks back and they enjoyed a lot there. The activities mentioned by you has motivated me to visit this country once in my lifetime. I will surely pay my visit there one day.

Great list of activities.:)

June 3, 2016 at 8:38 am

Turkey is truly a place you must go. I’m glad to hear that your friends went to some of the places I listed in my article and enjoyed it. I hope you have the opportunity to go yourself one day.

11. Macca Sherifi
    July 20, 2016 at 10:35 am

Sold! 100% want to do all of this in Turkey now!

12. Punita
    December 18, 2016 at 8:43 am

I had no idea they had world-class golf resorts in Turkey. A friend of mine is going soon, and her husband loves golf…this would be great for them.
    Punita recently posted…100cobbledroads wins the Versatile Blogger AwardMy Profile