Elements of the Ultimate Travel Outfit

Elements of the Ultimate Travel Outfit

BEAUTY + FASHION, LIFESTYLE, LUXURY TRAVEL

Sweltering airport tarmac, air-conditioned flight cabinets and changing climates: deciding what to wear for air travel is a complicated thing. If changing temperatures and climates aren’t enough, you have your comfort and sanity to take into consideration too! Which is why Air Charter Service has scoured the resources to put together the essential elements of the perfect travel outfit, so you have all the information to do it yourself. With these tips, your next private jet charter flight will be even more comfortable than what you’d imagined (if that’s even possible) and you’ll still look tasteful and stylish.

A few tips to start off with

To ensure that your flight is as pleasant as possible, there are a few key things to avoid. Tight clothing can restrict your blood circulation, which is dangerous in conditions of high altitude. Rather opt for light, breathable and loose fabrics that allow you to move and keep you fresher for longer (making your fellow passengers more comfortable, too).

On that note, your perfume might smell great to you, but it might not to your neighbours. Rather stay away from the perfume and make sure your clothes are freshly laundered instead. You’ll feel and smell fresher for a longer flight!

Layers are an avid traveler’s best friend. You’re probably going to experience a range of temperatures, especially if you’re taking a long-distance flight, so avoid overly wintery or summery clothes. Make sure your outfit can be adapted to all these temperatures.

From top to bottom – the perfect outfit:

A large scarf: Choose a washable scarf in a bigger size, such as pashminas or shawls, to keep your neck warm or to be used as a blanket in desperate situations.

Scarf by A Peace Treaty

Scarf by A Peace Treaty

A silk, cotton or linen shirt: Fabrics like silk, cotton or linen are breathable and allow moisture to pass through, so you’re fresh on the other side.

Shirt by Tomas Maier

Shirt by Tomas Maier

The long cardigan: This item is not only trendy, but also incredibly comfortable! It’s long enough to cover up any crazy layers, plus it doubles up as a blanket for your on-flight nap.

Long cardigan by French ConnectionLong cardigan by French Connection

Compression Leggings: These are the only tight items allowed! Compression jogging leggings will improve circulation and are easily combined with more stylish items to look sleek.

Compression leggings by RejuvahealthCompression leggings by Rejuvahealth

Midi skirt: Another great option, the longer-length full skirt allows you to curl your legs up under you but is enough covering to keep you warm. Choose non-crease fabrics like suede or jersey.

Skirt by RhiéSkirt by Rhié

Wide-leg trousers: Again, if you need to be a little more formal, wide-leg trousers give you room to move around yet look tailored and professional.

Balenciaga wide leg pants

Trousers by Balenciaga

A round-necked jacket: If you’re hopping off a plane straight to a meeting or evening event, rather replace the cardigan with a jacket. A round-necked jacket is the ultimate comfortable, yet effortlessly chic item. Even though these jackets have loose, movable cuts and a sweatshirt-like collar, you can throw this over any shirt or sweater and look tailored.

Jacket by IroJacket by Iro

Slip on shoes: Whether it’s a zip-up boot or a trendy slip on loafer, the name of the game is to avoid cumbersome laces and to make sure that shoes are easy to take on and off and have space to (inevitably) swell.

Slip ons by Tod’sSlip ons by Tod’s

With so many comfortable, yet chic, options, deciding on your next travel outfit should be a breeze, if not at the very least open your mind to different avenues of thinking when you’re due for those long haul flight but still wish to look good. Plus you can mix and match to suit your style!

THE

1. Ruth - Exploramum
    April 5, 2016 at 9:56 pm

What a great article. Particularly love the round neck jacket idea and long cardigan (to which I just purchased last week).
    Trying to wrap my head around the whole what to pack now!

April 6, 2016 at 9:07 am

I always take my cardigan with me when I travel. You can dress it up in the evening with a nice scarf or just use it during the day to keep warm.

2. Suze - Luxury Columnist
    April 6, 2016 at 4:25 am

I’m yet to find shoes that work really well on a flight as my feet seem to swell up so much! The pashmina idea is great

April 6, 2016 at 9:10 am

I normally wear my Michael Kors Fulton Moc Flats when I travel mostly. They are very comfortable and easy to slip off when I go through security lines.

3. Meg Jerrard
    April 10, 2016 at 2:49 am

Some fabulous tips here Carmen! Light, breathable and loose fabrics are always the way I go for my international flights. I wore tight clothes on my first flight, and quickly learned to do that never again!

And really great point about the perfume!!

April 12, 2016 at 2:53 pm

I had a similar experience with one of my first flights. Now I’ve learned to look presentable but comfortable at the same time.

4. Drew
    April 10, 2016 at 3:10 am

I must admit to being a bit of a travel attire novice, choosing mostly to wear bulky items so they don’t need to be packed and other items that I can quickly get through security! But my wife has this drapey sweater that wraps and is super comfortable that she has literally worn on every flight for years. It’s the ultimate travel item!

April 12, 2016 at 3:57 pm

I can totally relate with your wife wanted to wear her wrap every time she travels. I have a long sweater that although it’s bulky I take it with me on all my flights too.

5. Vicki | MakeTimeToSeeTheWorld
    April 10, 2016 at 3:52 am

Great tips! I always wear leggings and have a pashmina that i wear as a scarf and use as a pillow! I also find carrying an extra pair of socks is great – I tend to get cold feet on a flight and these really come in handy!

April 12, 2016 at 3:58 pm

That’s a great idea about carrying an extra pair of socks with you, especially on long flights. I’ll have to remember that one next time.

6. Lotte
    April 10, 2016 at 7:04 am

Dressing for travel is so important! For me the key is layers as I get cold easily, so I never travel without my scarf. I do love the cardigan in the picture, this would be a great addition to my travel wardrobe!

April 12, 2016 at 4:02 pm

When I travel on oversea flights I tend to wear layers too. I rather take off some of my layers than have to add to them.

7. Elaine J Masters
    April 10, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Some great ideas that I use as well. However I avoid bulky, space biting clothing like that long cardigan, unless it can double as a coat for the destination. Couldn’t agree more about layers – in any climate and bringing a few long sleeve and short sleeve tops that work well together.

April 12, 2016 at 4:28 pm

The worse thing that can happen is that you need to go shopping when you get to your destination because you didn’t bring the right set of clothes with you. That’s why I think it’s important to bring a mixture of long and short sleeve tops so you have a selection to pick from.

8. Laura Lynch
    April 10, 2016 at 1:47 pm

I have the hardest time with clothing for long plane rides, so I appreciate the tips. It’s hard to find something comfortable enough without looking like a slob.

April 12, 2016 at 4:31 pm

When I first started traveling I saw a lot of people wearing sweats and couldn’t understand why. Now I get it, but rather wear lose clothes instead.

9. John
    April 10, 2016 at 3:22 pm

I recently took a 17-hour flight from Dubai, and I think some compression pants might have helped me feel better both on and after that long flight.

April 12, 2016 at 4:34 pm

A lot of people don’t realize that even wearing compression socks help you with your circulation on planes.

10. Jenna
    April 11, 2016 at 4:15 am

All great ideas! Comfortable clothes can make all the difference on long travel days, and it’s nice to look a bit put together, as well. I love the long sweater idea–I always get so cold on planes and it is nice having a layer to wrap up with.

April 12, 2016 at 4:59 pm

I always like to look presentable when I travel, even when its on an overseas flight. I have a long sweater that I take with me everywhere, and use it as a blanket.

11. Trisha Velarmino - P.S. I'm On My Way
    April 12, 2016 at 10:14 pm

Love this! I used to work in fashion before traveling the world and I didn’t realise that it’s so important to have the most comfortable outfit when traveling. Since I only have 1 backpack, I have limited resources but I make sure that I have timeless pieces that will go a long way!

April 13, 2016 at 12:17 pm

I don’t think I would ever be able to put all my clothes in one backpack. That’s great that you travel light, and have a selection of outfits that you can use in different occasions.

12. Uncover Your Caribbean
    April 13, 2016 at 10:55 am

Some great tips. Soft loose clothes are slip on shoes are a must. Many of these items looks practical but offers a range of style. I like that!

April 14, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Before I applied for TSA precheck, one of the things I hated was having to take my shoes off at the airport going through security. I found that slip on shoes were the easiest ones to wear.

13. dana
    September 5, 2016 at 12:59 pm

All great tips. I also wear some of my bulkier clothing items, like a cozy knit poncho, which keeps my warm on the flight. This way I get to take it on the trip but not take up room in my suitcase.

September 5, 2016 at 7:03 pm

I’m a big fan of wraps and shawls. They both keep you warm on the plane and are easy to store in your carry-on luggage when you don’t need it.