The Landmark London a Luxurious Family Stay

The Landmark London a Luxurious Family Stay

EUROPE, HOTELS, LONDON, LUXURY TRAVEL

Choosing the right hotel requires a lot of research when traveling with the family.  Family travel in Europe is not like it is in the States. Here, parents can easily find rooms with two queen beds. But in much of Europe, hotels abide by strict occupancy limits on each room. When you combine that with the fact that most European rooms are far smaller than those in American hotels, families quickly realize that it is a challenge to find accommodations for three teenagers in a single room.  That’s how I came across the The Landmark London hotel: it was one of the few hotels in London that offered deluxe double beds in a room the size of a suite.

The five-star The Landmark London hotel, a member of The Leading Hotels of the Worldranks among the finest of the luxury hotels in London. Built in 1899, the Landmark was originally constructed as the last of the great Victorian railway hotels that were constructed during ‘the golden age of steam’.  Perfectly located in central London in the charming neighborhood of Marylebone, the hotel is close to all main attractions and amenities.

The Landmark London exterior entrance
The Landmark London exterior entrance

OUR ARRIVAL

You feel a sense of grandeur as soon as you check in the hotel. Besides the shiny surfaces and well-dressed staff that accompany any luxury hotel, we were immediately struck by the vast largeness and beauty of the atrium. It lies a few steps beyond the lobby, and the ceiling stretching up into panes of opaque glass gave the room the sense of being in a wondrous indoor garden. Also, we were enthusiastically welcomed. Before our bags were taken and delivered to our room, we were given a little tour of the hotel.

The Landmark London lobby entrance area
The Landmark London lobby entrance area
The Landmark London atrium ceiling
The Landmark London atrium ceiling
The Landmark London, Winter Garden
The Landmark London, Winter Garden

ACCOMMODATIONS

The hotel has 300 bedrooms and 51 suites. You can decide between one looking into the atrium or out to the street.

Our room, an Executive Family Room (amongst the most-booked) was just a hair short of being full-on suites, with upholstered seating and lots of luxurious features: a comfortable king-size bed, an enormous flat-screen television, large marble bathroom, and a coffee machine.

Executive Family Room - The Landmark London
Executive Family Room – The Landmark London
Welcoming Tray of Fresh Food and Cookies in our room
Welcoming Tray of Fresh Food and Cookies in our room

Our kids were in a Deluxe Double Room, spacious enough for the three of them with two queen beds and a large bathroom with separate bath tub and shower. It had the ideal amenity for them: a batch of white-chocolate macadamia and soft double chocolate cookies! Being teenagers, they had no idea what do with the fruit tray so they passed it back to us.

Deluxe Double Room, The Landmark London
Deluxe Double Room, The Landmark London

The rooms were amazingly spacious for central London.   We loved the bathrobes and the Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom with dual vanity stations, the large tub, and the separate marble-clad shower.

Family Room Bathroom - The Landmark London
Family Room Bathroom – The Landmark London

DINING

The Winter Garden restaurant sits at the heart of a beautiful eight-story atrium at the center of the hotel decorated with false yet effective Palm trees and plants. It’s a popular spot for a leisurely breakfast, a celebratory afternoon tea, or a relaxed dinner with a pianist tinkling in the background.

The Winter Garden/Hotel Atrium - The Landmark London
The Winter Garden/Hotel Atrium – The Landmark London

The lobby in the atrium is where they set out their elaborate breakfast spread, and where they also hold their celebrated high tea.

Breakfast Buffet - The Landmark London
Breakfast Buffet – The Landmark London

Afternoon Tea was one of my favorite things.  They first brought out four different types of finger sandwiches followed by scones, clotted cream, and a choice of jams. Then came a little tray of four different cakes. The tea itself was pleasantly surprising again with lots of choices.

Afternoon Tea at The Landmark London Hotel
Afternoon Tea at The Landmark London Hotel
Afternoon Tea at The Landmark London Hotel
Afternoon Tea at The Landmark London Hotel

The Mirror Bar is a smart place for a cocktail or late drink.  At the end of a long day walking the streets of London, sometimes you want to have a night cap before hitting the sack. This is the perfect setting. There are comfortable, large chairs and a bar that feels more like a living room. It is very elegantly appointed in keeping with the classiness of the Landmark hotel.

The Landmark London Hotel. The Mirror Bar
The Landmark London Hotel. The Mirror Bar

While the lower level TwoTwentyTwo Restaurant & Bar is a more informal bar and restaurant with a wide-ranging menu – in some ways the hotel’s best dining option.

TwoTwentyTwo Restaurant & Bar - The Landmark London (photo credit: Landmark London Hotel)
TwoTwentyTwo Restaurant & Bar – The Landmark London (photo credit: Landmark London Hotel)

POOL/FITNESS/SPA

The Landmark Spa & Health Club provides an ideal way to indulge after a day of sightseeing or meetings, with spa treatments, a pool, and gym. We made use of the fabulous spa facilities, and we particularly enjoyed the jacuzzi and steam room.  Featuring a 15-metre pool, sauna, steam room, whirlpool, monsoon showers, and four cocoon-like treatment rooms for some luxe-y treatments.

The Landmark London Pool
The Landmark London Pool
The Landmark London - Gym Area (photo credit: Landmark Hotel)
The Landmark London – Gym Area (photo credit: Landmark Hotel)

LOCATION

The hotel is very conveniently located across the street from the Marylebone Station, 5 minutes  away from Baker Street, and 15 minutes from Marble Arch and the shops at Oxford Street and Bond Street.

Marylebone Station (photo: flickr goodadvice)
Marylebone Station (photo: flickr goodadvice.com)

Having stayed in various hotels across London, I can honestly say The Landmark London excelled any other 5 star hotel I have ever stayed in. The service really made our trip. I have never been so well looked after in a hotel as we were during our stay here.  Making our stay in London at The Landmark London a Luxurious Family Stay – so much so, we did not want to leave.

The Landmark London, 222 Marylebone Rd, London NW1 6JQ, United Kingdom

We stayed as guest of The Landmark London at a reduced rate, but all opinions are my own.

1. Suze The Luxury Columnist
    August 13, 2015 at 5:42 pm

We also had afternoon tea in the Winter Garden for my birthday a few years ago and I’d love to return to see how it has changed. Nice that they gave you cookies in your room

Suze | LuxuryColumnist</

• Carmen
      August 14, 2015 at 9:38 am

I’m a chocolate lover and the mouth-watering chocolate delights with our Chocolate Afternoon Tea made my day.

2. Paula McInerney
    August 14, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Straight onto my list of places to stay in London. I love hotels that wow, as they should at this level, and The Landmark London looks as though it delivers.

• Carmen
      August 15, 2015 at 9:18 am

They definitely know how to wow you. It’s one of the most beautiful interiors I’ve seen.

3. Brian & Amada - Eat_Work_Travel
    August 15, 2015 at 1:06 am

Wow, stunning property! I have bathroom envy from these pictures. We love London and this seems like the perfect spot when staying in the city. Afternoon tea is always lovely although it seems The Landmark takes it to the next level. Thanks for sharing!

• Carmen
      August 15, 2015 at 1:17 pm

Our room was very spacious and faced the indoor courtyard. In the early afternoon you could hear the music playing from the piano. It was very relaxing and romantic as well.

4. Anda
    August 16, 2015 at 1:13 am

What a huge hotel, Carmen: 300 bedrooms and 51 suites! It looks really grand. I would have loved to stay there too.

• Carmen
      August 18, 2015 at 2:33 pm

The hotel is very big, but it didn’t seem that way for us. It’s easy to get around the property and it’s very centrally located.

5. Vlad
    August 16, 2015 at 3:24 am

Wow, it looks amazing! I am definitely envious, especially since on my last trip we’ve stayed in hotel rooms that could barely fit two people and our luggage! I’d love to stay here though, how much does a room cost?

• Carmen
      August 18, 2015 at 2:48 pm

The Executive Family Room with two double beds goes for $750/night. The cheapest rooms go for around $514/night.

6. Ruth - Tanama Tales
    August 16, 2015 at 5:15 pm

What a beautiful place to stay! It reminds me of a palace. Would like to experience the afternoon tea.

• Carmen
      August 24, 2015 at 7:23 pm

It can certainly be a palace by the size of it. It was once a grand Victorian railway hotel that dates back to 1899.

7. Kelly
    August 31, 2015 at 7:59 am

This is a rather marmite hotel with luxury travel bloggers at the moment. I agree with you that the rooms are impressive in size by London standards which are great for families however the service and general upkeep of the hotel is a massive let down…this was one of the first luxury hotels that I visited in London over 12 years ago; it was gorgeous then and worthy of it’s 5 stars however it’s become slightly rough around the edges over the past few years. I’m glad that you had a great experience!
    xx
    Around the World in 80 Pairs of Shoes

• Carmen
      September 14, 2015 at 9:09 am

Hi Kelly,

It was my first choice after seeing the sizes of the rooms. Especially, since we were traveling with our three kids. I didn’t get the impressive that it was rundown in any way but than again I’m not a local from London. By our standards, it was a fantastic hotel and they were on top of everything.

8. Shikha (whywasteannualleave)
    September 3, 2015 at 10:52 am

What a lovely stay you had! I haven’t stayed here but it still holds a special place in my heart because it was the first hotel dinner my husband and I enjoyed after we met and we dined at winter garden near Christmas time when it was so magical and festive! So nice of them to leave yummy cookies in the room – did make me laugh that the kids passed the fruit back but then again, I used to do exactly the same thing when I was a teenager ?

• Carmen
      September 14, 2015 at 9:16 am

Hi Shikha, I’m sure the hotel looked gorgeous during the holidays with all the decorations. I can see it being a special place, especially if it was your first dinner together. It must of been very romantic! My kids only care about the desserts. I think they ate our cookies in our room too.

9. Jean | Holy Smithereens
    September 18, 2015 at 5:26 am

The rooms are very spacious indeed for European standards! Love the bathroom and the amenities they gave to your kids 🙂 Agree that a lot of thought has to be put into travelling with family, and it does look like The Landmark provided those needs!

• Carmen
      September 18, 2015 at 8:55 am

When I travel with the family, my first priority is looking for hotel rooms that can accommodate us. The majority of hotels in Europe have standard rooms with one bed. When I mention that I have three kids staying in the room that offer to bring in a roll-a-bed. Our son is 6 feet tall and doesn’t fit in a roll-a-bed. I was very pleased when I found The Landmark, and saw that they had rooms with two double queen beds.