Top 10 Beaches in Santorini

Top 10 Beaches in Santorini

DESTINATIONS, GREECE

Santorini offers some of the finest beaches in the Aegean Sea. Most of Santorini beaches have the famous black volcanic sand and deep blue waters that any visitor to the island remembers. Some beaches have red or white sand with pebbles. Everywhere you visit, you will see spectacular rock formations. Here’s a list of the Top 10 Beaches in Santorini which represent unique environmental jewels.

Red Beach

Red Beach is 12 km south west of Fira in the Akrotiri area, and one of the most beautiful and famous beaches of Santorini.  It is well known for the unique color of the sand and the hill behind it. Soaring red lava cliffs which drop right to the sandy shore and into the clear blue sea, make for a majestic setting and one to enjoy. The beach can be reached either by boat (there are several connecting Red Beach with Perissa and Akrotiri) or by foot (10 minutes walk from Akrotiri).  You can drive and park next to the Agios Nikolaos church in Akrotiri.

Red Beach Santorini
Red Beach Santorini
Red Beach Santorini
Red Beach Santorini

Kamari

The beach resort of Kamari is situated on the southern part of Santorini, right next to Perissa, with the enormous rock called Mesa Vouno between them.  This beach is in a prime location for watching the sunset and the sunrise. It is also a very nice beach with lots of restaurants along the beachwalk. FYI, it has black sand that is more like black rocks. It is difficult to walk barefoot, so beach shoes are a must!

Kamari-Beach-Santorini
Kamari Beach Santorini (Photo Credit: Flickr: Simon Q)

Perissa

Perissa is a tourist resort that gets very crowded in summer. Perissa has black sand on its shore. The remains of Ancient Thera are close by.

Perissa-santorini
Perissa Beach Santorini
Perissa Beach Santorini
Perissa Beach Santorini

Agios Georgios

Agios Georgios is another black beach just 3 km from Perissa, on the southern part of Santorini. Agios Georgios is one of the most tourism-friendly beaches on Santorini.  Numerous facilities are available such as umbrellas and seats for rent, hotels and bars that fit every budget. Visitors can choose among a variety of activities in the water or out at the beach. A large number of restaurants and taverns are gathered along the waterfront, covering all tastes. The beach is a haven for water sport enthusiasts, offering them a wide range of water activities to choose from, including Jet- skiing, scuba-diving, windsurfing, paddle boats and banana boats.

playa-de-agios-georgios

Cape Columbo

Cape Columbo beach is one of the most isolate and quiet beaches on Santorini.  It’s located 12 km north east of Fira. Surrounded by a wild landscape, Cape Columbo often gets windy. In fact, it is the wind and the waves that have formated the wild rocks of Columbo. Just beware of the falling rocks from the cliff.  Don’t sit or lay directly under it them.

Cape Columbo

Monolithos

Monolithos Beach, situated close to the airport on the East of Santorini, next to Kamari Beach, is a peaceful fine black sandy beach, popular with locals and perfect for families with children as it’s organized with many facilities, such as children play areas, sun beds, umbrellas for rent, water sports and many restaurants.

Monoliths Beach (photo credit flickr:  Nicola)
Monoliths Beach (photo credit flickr: Nicola)

Perivolos

Located 10 km south of Fira, Perivolos is the longest black sand of Santorini. This wonderful beach is surrounded by these strange rock and sand formations, making it look like a space landscape.

perivolos beach santorini
Perivolos Beach Santorini

Vlychada

Vlychada beach is on the south coast of the Santorini, around 13 km from Fira the capital. Vlychada is a charming fishing village, where visitors can relax at seaside taverns and cafes. Imposing rocks  stand right above the beach, creating a lunar landscape for a relaxing day on the beach. There is also a beach bar perched on the rocks for delicious food and drink. This is one of the beaches in Santorini you should definitely visit. It has a small port where fishing boats and yachts moor in summer.

vlychada beach

vlychada

Vourvoulos

Location: 4 km north east of Fira Description: Vourvoulos is a beautiful beach but the strong wind that blows frequently makes it uncomfortable for swimming. Sometimes, waves can be huge.

Vouyrvoulos Beach Santorini
Vouyrvoulos Beach Santorini

White Beach

The cove right next to the Red beach is known as the White beach. It is very similar to the Red beach, with black pebbles on the shore. They contrast with the surrounding cliffs which are white.  White beach can only be reach by boat.

white beach santorini
White Beach Santorini

Which one is your favorite?

Santorini offers some of the finest beaches in the Aegean Sea with black volcanic sand and deep blue waters. Here's the Top 10 Beaches in Santorini, Greece.

1. Fairlie
    November 29, 2014 at 1:43 am

Wow! So many fabulous looking beaches. Hard to pick a favourite…but I think White Beach looks spectacular.

• Carmen
      November 29, 2014 at 2:48 am

Hi Fairlie,

The white cliffs in the White Beach are beautiful in the background. You can only get there by boat, which runs every half hour. It’s great to go by boat because you can enjoy the coastal scenery.

2. Lauren
    November 29, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Gorgeous! I would be happy to be relaxing at any one of them right now.

• Carmen
      November 30, 2014 at 12:39 am

Hi Lauren,

Take your pick, which one is your favorite? I think the Red Beach was mine. The color of the rocks and cliffs were breathtaking.

3. Hanna
    November 30, 2014 at 7:29 am

I love beaches, however, I don’t feel comfortable in the crowd so I believe that mostly I’d enjoy the White Beach and the Cape Columbo. But I like also the Red Beach, because of colours. I love beaches of Greek Islands, been to Corfu and Crete already, but during high season the organised tours make me annoyed… So I’ll remember to visit Santorini before or just after Summer! 🙂

• Carmen
      November 30, 2014 at 2:22 pm

Hi Hanna,

I’m not a fan of overcrowded beaches either. I prefer going to beaches where not too many people go. September is a great time to go to Greece.

4. Inta (CuriousCatExpat)
    November 30, 2014 at 10:16 am

I didn’t get to explore all of the beaches, but Red Beach was so memorable! Hope to get back one day to experience the others!

• Carmen
      November 30, 2014 at 2:27 pm

Hi Inta,

Santorini is a great island. I wouldn’t mind going back again someday. Next time you go take the ferry boat which takes you to some of the beaches for $5 euros.

5. Rachel
    December 6, 2014 at 4:34 pm

One of the things I love about dramatic coastlines is the different rock formations – seeing all the layers and lines slanting and criss-crossing through the rocks. Lovely beaches too!

• Carmen
      December 8, 2014 at 10:58 pm

Hi Rachel,

Thanks! I look at all these rock formation layers and lines and only wonder how many years its taken for them to form. The color variations and shapes have always fascinated me.

6. Tim
    December 7, 2014 at 7:09 pm

Black pebbles against a chalk white cliff? Can’t wait to see that contrast when I get to Santorini…!

• Carmen
      December 8, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Hi Tim,

The black pebbles are closer to the shore on the White Beach. Santorini is definitely a great place for photographs. Hope you get to go and enjoy the sites. Thanks for stopping by.

7. Yasmine Hatton-Ashley
    July 21, 2015 at 11:22 am

Hi Carmen,

I have found these pictures extremely useful! I cannot wait to get to Santorini now (1 month tomorrow!)

I think my favourite beach would be the white beach, looks stunning!

• Carmen
      July 24, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I’m glad to hear that you’re heading to Santorini and you found my post helpful. 🙂 You’re going to have an amazing time. It’s such a beautiful island. We stayed in Oia, which is the best place to see the sunsets. Enjoy, and let me know which beach was your favorite!

8. Kristine
    October 21, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Just back from Santorini. Our favorite beach was Vlychada. what a beautiful landscape and off the season so quiet and relaxing.

• Carmen
      October 22, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Vlychada is a great beach, so glad you enjoyed it. You picked a great time of year to go.

9. Dina Stathis
    January 25, 2017 at 1:58 pm

Hello Carmen,
    Great photos! I have another beach for you, when you visit Santorini next. It is the only beach in the Caldera and it has breathtaking views. I can send you some photos if you like. It is The Beach, a quiet, picturesque restaurant/beach bar in Akrotiri, close to Vlychada on the south side of the island.

January 26, 2017 at 8:41 pm

That sounds fantastic, please send me a few pictures of the beach and I will add it to the list. My email: carmen@carmensluxurytravel.com