He proposed, Excellence Punta Cana

He proposed, Excellence Punta Cana

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, HOTELS, LUXURY TRAVEL, RESORTS & SPAS

We wanted to get away for Thanksgiving since we didn’t have our kids with us.  I found an “Adult Only” all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in Punta Cana called “Excellence“.  The name caught my attention.  No children, No distractions, No interruptions, No demands on your time. Only a stunning Caribbean setting in an all inclusive luxury resort.   Sign me up!!

So off we went.  The flight from Fort Lauderdale to Punta Cana is short, only 2 1/2 hours on JetBlue. Once we arrived at the airport in Punta Cana, the hotel had a transfer service waiting to take us to the hotel.  It took roughy around 30 minutes to arrived at the Excellence Punta Cana Resort.

Do you ever get that, “Oh, this is nice” feeling when you get somewhere? Well, I did.   We were welcomed and given a glass of champagne upon arrival.

Excellence Punta Cana Front Entrance
Excellence Punta Cana Front Entrance
Peacock on the Excellence Punta Cana Resort
Peacock on the Excellence Punta Cana Resort
Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana

Excellence Punta Cana has 452 suites in pastel-colored buildings with four-poster beds, whirlpool tubs and separate showers, private patios or balconies, mini-bars, bathrobes, satellite TVs, free wireless internet, stocked minibar with beer, juices, soft drinks, water and snacks, in-room premium liquor & wine bottle selection, and turn-down service. Did you get all that? It’s a lot of amenities.

Guest Room at Excellence Punta Cana
Guest Room at Excellence Punta Cana

The resort’s ten bars are spread throughout the property, including the Martini Bar in the lobby, the swim-up pool bars, and the X-Lounge on the beach. The main pool is huge and very refreshing.  There are ample amount of loungers, but be prepared to get out there early for a raft.  The main pool is used for pool activities (volleyball, water aerobics).  Pool waiters walk around taking your drink orders.  The Cascade Pool is much quieter and a little deeper.

We enjoyed relaxing in the pool area and the beach.

Relaxing by the Pool in Excellence Punta Cana
Relaxing by the Pool in Excellence Punta Cana
Excellence Punta Cana Pool Area
Excellence Punta Cana Pool Area
Excellence Punta Cana Pool Area
Excellence Punta Cana Pool Area

I had never been on a beach before that had covered beds to lay down on.   This of course was a huge hit for my husband who hates to be in the sun .  I’m a sun worshiper who loves to be in the sun and get a tan so I would lay in the sun on one of the recliners.

Excellence Punta Cana Beach
Excellence Punta Cana Beach
Beach Bed at Excellence Punta Cana
Beach Bed at Excellence Punta Cana
Relaxing in the Beach Bed at Excellence Punta Cana
Relaxing in the Beach Bed at Excellence Punta Cana
Relaxing at Excellence Punta Cana Beach
Relaxing at Excellence Punta Cana Beach
Excellence Punta Cana Beach
Excellence Punta Cana Beach

You have a choice of seven restaurants on the property: Chez Isabelle, with French cuisine; Agave, serving Mexican fare; a Mediterranean eatery, Barcelona; Toscana with Italian food; Spice, an Asian restaurant; and the Lobster House. The food was excellent and we always received very good service and had no issues.  There’s something for everyone, and the staff will go out of there way to satisfy you in every restaurant!

Every night before dinner we would sit out on our balcony and have a glass of wine while looking out into the ocean.  On our third night,  we sat out in our balcony like all the other nights.  This night was special because John got on his knees and proposed to me.  I of course said yes!  Our favorite restaurant most definitely was Chez Isabelle!  Not only was the food remarkable – top class!  I got engaged there.

Sunset at Excellence Punta Cana
Sunset at Excellence Punta Cana
Our engagement celebration at Chez Isabelle - Excellence Punta Cana
Our engagement celebration at Chez Isabelle – Excellence Punta Cana

I know I have a look of shock in my face!  He caught me off guard.

The resort is a great place to host a destination wedding.  This lovely bride was being escorted by her dad on a horse-drawn carriage to the resort’s beachside wedding gazebo.

Wedding Gazebo at Excellence Punta Cana
Wedding Gazebo at Excellence Punta Cana
Father of the Bride and Bride on a Horse-Drawn Carriage at Excellence Punta Cana
Horse Drawn Carriage - Excellence Punta Cana
Horse Drawn Carriage – Excellence Punta Cana
Happy Couple at Excellence Punta Cana
Happy Couple at Excellence Punta Cana

We will be back to this resort and cannot wait to go experience the rest of the Excellence Resorts!! We highly recommend staying here.  And ladies, if you think it might be time for him to pop the Question, you might schedule a long weekend at the Excellence Resort to see what happens.   I did back in 2007 and look what happened to me!

1. Daidri | Thee Getaway Gal
    September 24, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Congratulations Carmen! How exciting for both of you. The resort looks fantastic and perfect for a quiet getaway. I would love to be on one of those beds under the grass umbrellas reading a book right now. Heavenly!

September 24, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Thanks Daidri, That was back in 2007 when we got engaged. I have friends that just got married and went there for their honeymoon. I thought it would be a cute idea to share my experience of the hotel.

2. Emily and Andrew @alongdustyroads
    September 26, 2014 at 9:11 pm

What a truly wonderful place to get engaged. Your other half is a clever chap!
    To be honest, one look at that hotel room, and who wouldn’t say yes.

September 27, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Hi Emily and Andrew! It was my idea to go to the hotel, but you are correct he did pick a perfect location to pop the question. I was totally surprised since I had packed his suitcase. My first question was where did you hide the ring (his socks).

3. Brianna
    September 26, 2014 at 10:56 pm

Congrats! What a souvenir to come back with 🙂

September 27, 2014 at 1:41 pm

Thanks Brianna, It was a very sparkly souvenir that I will cherish forever. We plan on returning to the hotel one day soon.

4. Cat
    September 26, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Wow, what a gorgeous sunset! Never stayed at an all-inclusive resort before except Club Med. I’ve always wanted to go to the Caribbeans. Definitely will look into one next time!

September 27, 2014 at 1:44 pm

Hi Cat, We’ve stayed in several of the Club Med’s in the Caribbean. Punta Cana is one of our favorite. It’s more of an intimate resort since it only caters to adults.

5. Lyn - A Hole in my Shoe
    September 27, 2014 at 11:18 am

How wonderful to share the story of your engagement at such a beautiful place. The food choices sound amazing.

September 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hi Lyn, I just had a family member return from his honeymoon, and they loved it as well.

6. Lisa
    September 27, 2014 at 7:02 pm

This resort is gorgeous! My cousin was married there a few years ago and she said it was flawless. Would definitely like to visit without the kids;)

September 30, 2014 at 1:47 am

Hi Lisa, It’s a very intimate and romantic hotel. I can see why a lot of couples choose to go for their honeymoon. It’s also a plus that they don’t allow any children.

7. Evanne @ Poplar Travels
    September 28, 2014 at 7:38 am

What a great place to have an excuse to go back to!

September 30, 2014 at 1:49 am

H Evanne, We’ll have to go back to celebrate one of our anniversaries there. It’s a special place for us.

8. Sammi Wanderlustin'
    September 28, 2014 at 5:07 pm

What a beautiful place to get engaged, congratulations 🙂

September 30, 2014 at 1:49 am

Hi Sammi, Thanks, At least he surprised me and made it a destination engagement. 🙂

9. Amy
    September 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm

What a gorgeous resort and perfect place to get engaged! I love that beach bed.

September 30, 2014 at 1:52 am

Hi Amy, It was hard to get my husband off the beach bed. He loved it there, since he was able to read his book under the shade. It was comfortable too.

10. Katrina
    September 29, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I have a feeling that the universe is telling us to either go to Costa Rica or Punta Cana in the DR… we were just looking at prices for the DR last night! Friends of ours honeymooned there and raved how beautiful it was. Thanks for the write-up!

(Found you through #WeekendWanderlust)

September 30, 2014 at 1:56 am

Hi Katrina, I’ve been to both. We actually got married in Costa Rica and spent two weeks driving around. It all depends what you want to do.

11. Constance - Foreign Sanctuary
    September 30, 2014 at 1:36 am

Wow! What an amazing place to chill and relax!! I bet you had an awesome time there!

September 30, 2014 at 1:57 am

Hi Constance, We did have an awesome time, especially since it was just the two of us. (no kids). It’s a great hotel to enjoy the beach, pool and lay back and do nothing.

12. Lauren
    September 30, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Oh my goodness, beach beds! That’s amazing. Sign me up! Also awesome that you got engaged there!! 🙂

October 1, 2014 at 4:14 pm

Hi Lauren, It was my first time ever seeing such a thing “beach bed”. I thought is was a great idea. Lots of people enjoyed laying on them.

13. Anne Klien ( Meanne)
    October 4, 2014 at 8:26 am

Thats a beautiful place…. is this a blog or a fairytale….. good story